A few minor issues with our Goffin

Hello again my feather loving friends I posted about six weeks ago ( here) about our newly acquired Goffin, Misha.In the time that has passed Misha and I have grown to be good friends. She is the most tame, loving animal I have ever touched. But, I’m still having a couple off issues with her and her cage. When I open the door to her cage she doesn’t want to “step-up” and come out; she wants to come out on her own. While she is out she doesn’t mind at all being touched and petted and kissed to death. She is a little tramp when it comes to being touched. When it’s time to put her away for the night (she is out from 8am until 9pm) … she totaly and completely refused to step-up and go back in her cage, most of the time. She never ever bites; rather she puts my finger in her beak and manipulates my finger so I’m petting her, instead of trying to make her step-up. It’s adorable, but also aggrevating as well. I eventually chase her around the top of her cage and she reluctantly climbs on and goes into the cage without issue. We are still having the same issue with the cage that we were experiencing from my first post: If she can see the cage she doesn’t really want to be away from it. If she does step-up she flies back as soon as we turn and start walking away from the cage. Do I need to seperate her from the cage for a while? Maybe a seperate room with a playground or… ?I guess what I’m looking for, or hoping to hear is that there’s a simple fix… or that “I” am doing something wrong. I’m failing to see something, because as much as she loves to be touched and petted, and kissed on… I would think she would want to be closer to us; like our past birds.Thanks!!Brian

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5581&p=37221&hilit=meisha#p37221

I suppose it might also help if I attempt to exaplin what I’ve been trying to do to fix it.At random times throughout the day; when I stop by her cage for a kiss or to pet her… I try to get her to step-up - without chasing her around the cage top. If she doesn’t want to - I don’t push it.If she does step-up I pet her, kiss her and then put her back on the cage top - thinking this will show her that I’m not taking it away from her, or keeping her from it. Trying to gain her trust, basically.I’ve been using this technique for at least the past month and I din’t seem to be getting anywhere with it - hence the return question Thanks again!!!

Myrtle is the same way. She freaks out if I reach into her cage. Probably because she knows there is no escape. (I don’t know what all happened to her in her first year.) Her cage door has not been closed since day one. She doesn’t always want to be picked up so I just tell her okay.She will come if she thinks I have something or am doing something she wants involved in. That is when she does her little happy dance and flapps her wings like a baby bird.The top of her cage is level with my face. If I go over and talk to her with my hands behind my back she will come to me and tell me “sweet nothings” and want to kiss me.One night she was up until midnight playing on a rope I strung across the sun room. Most nights when I go around and tell everybody “nite nite” she just goes to the swing above her cage and stays there until morning. Rambo on the other hand tells me nite nite to turn out the light so it won’t bother him in the “nite nite cage” that he claimed.I don’t ask anything of my pets except to let me love them.

Goffin-Goof wrote:I suppose it might also help if I attempt to exaplin what I’ve been trying to do to fix it.At random times throughout the day; when I stop by her cage for a kiss or to pet her… I try to get her to step-up - without chasing her around the cage top. If she doesn’t want to - I don’t push it.If she does step-up I pet her, kiss her and then put her back on the cage top - thinking this will show her that I’m not taking it away from her, or keeping her from it. Trying to gain her trust, basically.I’ve been using this technique for at least the past month and I din’t seem to be getting anywhere with it - hence the return question Thanks again!!!Keep doing this, but instead, try to entice her with her favorite treat. Then, make her step up, pet her a few seconds and put her in her cage without talking. Leave her there for different amount of times, never the same. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 1 hour, sometimes more, or less. She has to learn that all day through, she will be put in her cage, then let her out again. When you let her out, just open the door and walk away. Don’t make a big deal out of it, don’t talk to her, just go.When she’s on top, sometimes stop by and just talk to her, or give her a treat without putting her in her cage, just for stepping up. You don’t want her to associate the treat with being put back in her cage.Oh, and I almost forgot: don’t ever, ever let her out of the cage is she is not totally quiet, at least for 3-4 minutes.This is what I would try, and I think it has a good chance to work if you’re consistent.

sidech wrote:Goffin-Goof wrote:I suppose it might also help if I attempt to exaplin what I’ve been trying to do to fix it.At random times throughout the day; when I stop by her cage for a kiss or to pet her… I try to get her to step-up - without chasing her around the cage top. If she doesn’t want to - I don’t push it.If she does step-up I pet her, kiss her and then put her back on the cage top - thinking this will show her that I’m not taking it away from her, or keeping her from it. Trying to gain her trust, basically.I’ve been using this technique for at least the past month and I din’t seem to be getting anywhere with it - hence the return question Thanks again!!!Keep doing this, but instead, try to entice her with her favorite treat. Then, make her step up, pet her a few seconds and put her in her cage without talking. Leave her there for different amount of times, never the same. Sometimes 5 minutes, sometimes 1 hour, sometimes more, or less. She has to learn that all day through, she will be put in her cage, then let her out again. When you let her out, just open the door and walk away. Don’t make a big deal out of it, don’t talk to her, just go.When she’s on top, sometimes stop by and just talk to her, or give her a treat without putting her in her cage, just for stepping up. You don’t want her to associate the treat with being put back in her cage.Oh, and I almost forgot: don’t ever, ever let her out of the cage is she is not totally quiet, at least for 3-4 minutes.This is what I would try, and I think it has a good chance to work if you’re consistent.Sidech,Maybe I failed to mention it… but she is out of her cage from about 8am until about 9pm. She is out all day long; unless I leave the house (house is not bird proof).When I try to get her to step-up during the day, at random times - she is never put back in to the cage… just put back on top of the cage where I took here from.Her door is open all day long and she is free to go in or out at her discretion.Thanks for the reply and the input

Goffin-Goof wrote:Hello again my feather loving friends I posted about six weeks ago ( here) about our newly acquired Goffin, Misha.In the time that has passed Misha and I have grown to be good friends. She is the most tame, loving animal I have ever touched. But, I’m still having a couple off issues with her and her cage. When I open the door to her cage she doesn’t want to “step-up” and come out; she wants to come out on her own. While she is out she doesn’t mind at all being touched and petted and kissed to death. She is a little tramp when it comes to being touched. When it’s time to put her away for the night (she is out from 8am until 9pm) … she totaly and completely refused to step-up and go back in her cage, most of the time. She never ever bites; rather she puts my finger in her beak and manipulates my finger so I’m petting her, instead of trying to make her step-up. It’s adorable, but also aggrevating as well. I eventually chase her around the top of her cage and she reluctantly climbs on and goes into the cage without issue. We are still having the same issue with the cage that we were experiencing from my first post: If she can see the cage she doesn’t really want to be away from it. If she does step-up she flies back as soon as we turn and start walking away from the cage. Do I need to seperate her from the cage for a while? Maybe a seperate room with a playground or… ?I guess what I’m looking for, or hoping to hear is that there’s a simple fix… or that “I” am doing something wrong. I’m failing to see something, because as much as she loves to be touched and petted, and kissed on… I would think she would want to be closer to us; like our past birds.Thanks!!Briansounds like shes had way to much fun outside her cage so she doesn’t want to go back in, try making going back into her cage a reward/fun, when do you feed her dinner? does she have a favorite food? lets say she LOVES sunflower seeds, put a pinch of sunflower seeds in a bowl in her cage for when she wants to go back. now its a reward and fun going back in her cage, also have you ever used her cage as punishment? eg shes bitten and you have got mad and put her in her cage or shes chewed something up and you have put her back in her cage. so she sees her cage as a negative place to be

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5581&p=37221&hilit=meisha#p37221

[quote=“liz”]Myrtle is the same way. She freaks out if I reach into her cage. Probably because she knows there is no escape. (I don’t know what all happened to her in her first year.) Her cage door has not been closed since day one. She doesn’t always want to be picked up so I just tell her okay.She will come if she thinks I have something or am doing something she wants involved in. That is when she does her little happy dance and flapps her wings like a baby bird.The top of her cage is level with my face. If I go over and talk to her with my hands behind my back she will come to me and tell me “sweet nothings” and want to kiss me.One night she was up until midnight playing on a rope I strung across the sun room. Most nights when I go around and tell everybody “nite nite” she just goes to the swing above her cage and stays there until morning. Rambo on the other hand tells me nite nite to turn out the light so it won’t bother him in the “nite nite cage” that he claimed.I still think routine is best. Start turning off lights and saying nite nite. By the time you get yourself ready for bed she should be too. All my kids(birds, dogs and even cats) know when it is time for bed. If I linger they tell me. The cats come in when I call them. The dogs follow me around to encourage me to hurry for bed. Rambo is the first to go to bed. Myrtle is ready before I am. The tiels are the last. They have to have another goodnight before they settle down because shadow sings at bed time.