A flock of parrots when i get a bigger place!

So i have a cockatiel now, she is 5 months old. I’m assuming it’s a girl 'cause of her behaviour.But anyway, once i get a bigger place, i really wanna get my own flock of birds.I’m not quite sure what parrots i want and how many i want, i’d say maybe around 5 or so. So i’ll have my cockatiel obviously, and i’m looking into conures and indian ringnecks, i was all thinking of getting a lorikeet but i’ve read they like to bully other birds and can be aggressive towards them, is this true?Do you guys think that a cockatiel, a sun conure and a ringneck would go well together?Would it be safe to have a larger type parrot like an african grey in this flock?And last but not least, what are some common medium sized parrots besides lorikeets, conures and ringnecks?I’ve only owned tiels and budgies before, and i’d like to switch it up a little now!

I wouldn’t keep those two species with a 'tiel. I’ve no idea how the conure and ringneck would get on but tbh I probably wouldn’t chance it, the conures are relentless at times and not scared of bigger birds. The ringneck could do too much damage far too easily to the conure.It could work if you have enough time to give them all individual attention and keep them separate from each other.

Hmm, well, that’s disappointing.Do you know what species would actually go together?

Even members of the same species aren’t guaranteed to get on I’m afraid so when taking on a bird you should always make sure you have enough time for separate out times and close supervision just in case the worst happens. Cockatiels on the whole are generally quite happy to have other 'tiels introduced to the flock, other grass type parakeets, budgies etc are also unlikely to cause too many problems. I have a 'tiel and conure, I’m not saying they should never be kept together but its taken time to stop Ollie chasing Harlie and she gets scared if he comes within a foot of her. Obviously stress isn’t good for her so I have to watch Ollie like a hawk when Harlie is out at the same time and make sure a good distance is maintained between them at all times. Ollie is very much a people person and Harlie isn’t so usually its pretty easy to keep them apart but it could be so different.

Bourke’s Parakeets are more of aviary birds but they’re quiet and gentle. They’re a species of grass parakeet, and if anything I would the the cockatiel would be aggressive to them. But, they don’t like to cuddle or be pet, just like to ride on your shoulder with you.Have you looked into Lineolated Parakeets? I’m still researching them but they can be friendly, social, and can talk (and come in a beautiful array of colors). There might not be a breeder near you- the closest breeder we can find is 2 and a half hours from us.I’ve never owned a tiel, but at a certain pet store you could handle them, which really got me interested in birds. I found them to be very sweet. Peanut, on the other hand, is sweet but has a little attitude. She does have a bigger beak than a tiel and I wouldn’t trust her around another bird unless it’s another GCC or a similar species, like a Maroon Belly (and, if I think they can get along, etc. etc.).

It depends on the size of the enclosure. I’ve kept parrots of many different species together but it was a very large birdroom and they all lived cage-free so I never had any problems.Now, when you talk about a flock, you are talking about a minimum of six bonded pairs of the same species which share housing. People talk about their ‘flock’ when referring to a few birds living in cages and themselves but this is not a flock. It’s just a number of lone birds that live separately in the same room like a bunch of people renting rooms in a house and not a family. These birds don’t really have any type of flock dynamics so there is no flock.If you want a flock, I would suggest cockatiels. They are very flock oriented (more so than budgies or lovebirds), very mild-mannered, smart, beautiful and easy to care for.

Pajarita wrote:Now, when you talk about a flock, you are talking about a minimum of six bonded pairs of the same species which share housing. People talk about their ‘flock’ when referring to a few birds living in cages and themselves but this is not a flock. It’s just a number of lone birds that live separately in the same room like a bunch of people renting rooms in a house and not a family. These birds don’t really have any type of flock dynamics so there is no flock.