Advice or ideas?

Hello everyone. I’ve got a 3 year old Quaker and I’m starting to feel a bit overwhelmed… actually, a lot overwhelmed. When at first we brought her home, things were going pretty well. She was learning rather quickly and seemed to enjoy our (mine and my husbands) company. She talks and sings and generally steps up off the top of her cage. But lately she’s been downright awful. I feel pretty sure that it’s because last year we brought home a stray cat, which obviously doesn’t get along with our bird. Unfortunately, my husband loves this cat and I’m pretty fond of her too. Abigail, not so much. And the cat’s probably just half of the problem. Both my husband and I have gotten promotions in the past year which while very good for us, means less time at home. We really only get to spend a couple hours with her every day. Lately she’s become aggressive and territorial. We thought maybe it was just birdie hormones, but I’m pretty sure she’s upset with us. I just don’t really know what to do…Is a couple hours a day enough interaction? Is there something I can do that would make her time by herself more enjoyable? Any suggestions for how to make the most of our time together? I’m with her all day on Sunday and most of Saturday, but otherwise we’re at work or doing the daily stuff. Anywho, that’s a lot to read but I really want to have a happy, well adjusted parrot. Just need a little direction from people who maybe have been in a similar situation.

MrsArmstrong wrote:Hello everyone. I’ve got a 3 year old Quaker and I’m starting to feel a bit overwhelmed… actually, a lot overwhelmed. When at first we brought her home, things were going pretty well. She was learning rather quickly and seemed to enjoy our (mine and my husbands) company. She talks and sings and generally steps up off the top of her cage. But lately she’s been downright awful. I feel pretty sure that it’s because last year we brought home a stray cat, which obviously doesn’t get along with our bird. Unfortunately, my husband loves this cat and I’m pretty fond of her too. Abigail, not so much. And the cat’s probably just half of the problem. Both my husband and I have gotten promotions in the past year which while very good for us, means less time at home. We really only get to spend a couple hours with her every day. Lately she’s become aggressive and territorial. We thought maybe it was just birdie hormones, but I’m pretty sure she’s upset with us. I just don’t really know what to do…Is a couple hours a day enough interaction? Is there something I can do that would make her time by herself more enjoyable? Any suggestions for how to make the most of our time together? I’m with her all day on Sunday and most of Saturday, but otherwise we’re at work or doing the daily stuff. Anywho, that’s a lot to read but I really want to have a happy, well adjusted parrot. Just need a little direction from people who maybe have been in a similar situation.They always want more time than you have. Your birdie baby could be getting bored. Get the biggest cage you can and fill it with different kinds of toys. Search in the Toy topic for ideas.Put her near a window to see out. Give her a mirror to talk to. Let her know the cat can’t get her or put her high enough that she can look down on the cat, but not higher than your eye level. Give her a bell or something to make noise. They love noise.I am sure someone with more knowledge will get back to you soon. Good luck and keep us posted.

i only have 1 advice which is to make sure that the cat never reachs the parrot . my friend was flying his budgie in his room while the cat was inside and she killed him so take care

How is she doing now?