Allergic to my new Pionus?! Help!

Back-story:Ok, I got my first bird four years ago. She’s a White Bellied Caique and is one of the most active and cuddley birds I know. I recently decided to get a blue and gold macaw. While I was visiting her, she was being weaned, I saw a little pionus. She was the last one left out of her siblings and had been weaned for two months. I brought my caique to meet her and they got along. So the next day I picked her up and brought her home. It’s been crazy ever since.The Problem:I have been coughing 24/7 since I brought her home. I have never had any issues with bird dander. I’m scared it’s not an allergy because I’m already on meds for seasonal allergy. I’m bringing the Macaw home on Thursday and taking her and the pionus to the vet for a wellness check. Is there something special I should ask them to test for? I know the Pionus smells and has “different” dander than the caique and macaw. Am I allergic to just the pionus? Should I get myself tested for something? I can’t bear the idea of getting rid of her. I apologize for my ranting, but I’m worried my mother will force me to get rid of her because I already have health issues and she doesn’t want me to add another one on top of it. :confused:

I’m not sure of all the birds what type of feather impregnation they have but I am pretty sure atleast hyasint macaws has the same fatty one as amazons wich means they do produce a lot less dander compared to a cockatoo for example. I know my little cockatiel seems to stir up more dust and dander than my amazon. And if this is the case of your birds that they use different type of feather care (sorry English isn’t my L1…) it is possible you might be allergic to one of them. My brother for example can’t be around cockatoos but can easily hang out with my amazon without getting ill. Another possibility is that the airborn dander gets to heavy for you, especially if you have mild asthma already. And I mean getting to heavy because you doubled the amount, if you think that’s the problem you might want to try an air cleaner similar to the ones used at demolitions in smaller areas to prevent to much dust building up in the air. Is it is the increased amount of dust in the air your allergy pills shouldn’t do much good unless they contain efedrin or something, should still annoy you though but should easen up the breathing. But efedrin is only given in severe cases here in sweden because it has shitloads of unwanted side effects. Well depending if your wery overweight they might be seen as good ones for a while (you burn through the fats in your body as a torch through butter) but this also means the wanted parts of your body containing fats. Ah well, almost turning into a rant but try get loads of fresh air in possibly try rent a filter to reduce airborn dander and try give your birds daily baths and you will see if your health improves.

Hi, I’m a fellow allergy sufferer and quite bad at that. You may be allergic to the dust given off by your pionus but unless your sneezing and that too I should think its just the fact that they are dusty. Do you have asthma? you may be starting with that. First thing I would do is go to the doctors and ask them to check your breathing and review your meds. Tell them you keep birds. My doctor told me to get rid of all my pets but I told him no way. Probably irresponsible of me but my pets are my life.My symptoms never go but there are a few things you can do to help.- Spray the birds reguarly- Keep everything clean, use paper to line the cage and change 2-3 times a day- Dont dust the room, wipe round with a damp cloth - Get an air filter (I havent because I can’t afford), be sure to get the right type- Dont ever forget to take your meds and use them properly- After you hoover round leave the room for a while so any dust stirred up can settle- Wash hands and face after handling the birds- Use vaseline around the inside of your nostrils to help catch pollen/dustLastly if you are really really bad and none of the above helps you can buy masks that fit around your mouth and nose. You can wear them when cleaning, handling the birds etc, just make sure you introduce them to you wearing it slowly as they will probably freak out.

According to an allergy doctor I visited prior to getting our birds, there is noone that is allergic to birds (only such a small number that its neglectable to zero). Humans havnt been around birds long enough for us to have allergic reactions to them.However, he did tell me that birds produce alot of dust (which we all know too well ^^) and if you are allergic to dust, then birds may increase that problem alot. The only thing you can do then is to do as Marie said, and vacuum your house often.

From what I read, the pionus does not have a preening gland so it is definitely a dander producer. You may be allergic to the dander. Your doctor can give you a test and see. You may need to put on a mask when you touch the bird to avoid breathing in the dander.

A comment:I am allergic to pretty much every living animal due to dander (horses, cats, dogs, even birds, but surprisingly no problems with Nika). I have asthma too, but I’m actually referring to sneezing, sore throat, itchy red eyes, hives from saliva, etc. It is pretty bad however after a week or so of being around the animal my immune system kicks in or stops kicking in (whatever) and all my symptoms disappear slowly. So for some allergies they can diminish over time.Also I try to be as clean as possible and wipe off dust, air out the room, etc. Good luck!

Eurycerus wrote:A comment:I am allergic to pretty much every living animal due to dander (horses, cats, dogs, even birds, but surprisingly no problems with Nika). I have asthma too, but I’m actually referring to sneezing, sore throat, itchy red eyes, hives from saliva, etc. It is pretty bad however after a week or so of being around the animal my immune system kicks in or stops kicking in (whatever) and all my symptoms disappear slowly. So for some allergies they can diminish over time.Also I try to be as clean as possible and wipe off dust, air out the room, etc. Good luck!I’m the same, hayfever, asthma, dermatitis, allergies to most animals… Your really lucky your getting better though, I seem to be getting worse

marie83 wrote:I’m the same, hayfever, asthma, dermatitis, allergies to most animals… Your really lucky your getting better though, I seem to be getting worse Is it your parrots or other animals that make it worse?It is pretty nice that it diminishes but wow it’s awful for a while. I appear to be a neurotic hand washer hehe… but that’s only because if I get licked or nosed I get itchy and if I forget that I patted an animal and touch my face it’s horrible for a few hours trying desperately not to itch knowing it’ll just get worse. Laaaamme… Sometimes I wonder how I’ve even survived this long

I’m not as bad with the birds as with other animals. I’ve only had birds for the past 13 years until this last week so I definitely am a bit allergic to them. Cats, horses and rabbits are my worst though, they make me feel really ill. Not the best idea to have just aquired a rehomed house rabbit then! lol.