Anybody feel bad for budgies?

I always feel bad for budgies. It seems like people think of them as a “throwaway bird” just something to get until they can get a bigger parrot. I’ve heard them talk and I personally think they are quite smart! It’s also sad that many people get them just as decorations and never let them out of the cage, in pet stores they are always crammed together in these tiny cages.I just needed to rant. That being said, please share your positive thoughts about budgies!

I had a budgie as my first bird, her name was Madison, she was smart and liked being around people but didn’t like too much affection. She was also very independant and liked her own company. Despite this I still hated her being alone all day whilst I was at work and took on a rescue cockatiel called Jack. Madison got all the attention she did before, she was never a throwaway bird even after my peach fronted conure arrived into my life. I must admit before madison I wasn’t bothered about birds at all but since then my love for them has grown and grown.Since madison I’ve had several birds, it doesn’t stop me wanting more or ‘bigger and better’ birds although I never see it as bigger and better birds. I just want experience of as many species as I can, I’m interested in all the different quirks and personalities but I would never have more birds than I had the time, space and money for. I would love to have a big macaw or an african grey but right now that isn’t possible as I’m living in a flat. If someone offered me a budgie tomorrow I would take it in a heartbeat and it would have a home for life, I miss Madison so much even after all these years. I can’t see how anyone can see any living creature as throwaway no matter how small/low the cost/easy to care for. They are all unique and all deserve the best.

I don’t feel bad about the ones who end up in legitimate homes. Some people genuinely do give them equal respect/care as the “bigger/better” parrots. But as for the rest of them, it’s absolutely terrible! Many get treated like nothing more than fish in a tank! Never let out, poorly fed, barely looked after. While I do see them as a good “beginner bird” for someone who is serious but inexperienced in owning parrots, most of the hands they end up in are just awful. When people see the bird for $15 between the $10 mouse and the $20 hamster… they think it’s some good entertainment for the money. Heck even a game costs more than that.This is about as bad as it gets though!This comes pretty close as well.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/carnival-abuse-of-budgies

I honestly don’t see how any animal could be seen as a throw away pet. Now I haven’t personally seen a budgie but from the videos on youtube and the pictures I’ve seen… They are very beautifully colored birds and the fact that so many can talk should be more incentive to keep one in my opinion rather then throw it away. Now in my opinion, if your going to be looking for a great deal on a pet that will provide plenty of entertainment then you should be eager to take on the responsibility of owning said pet and making sure it is very well cared for. Of course researching any pet is necessary to figure out the proper diet, how to care for it, grooming, personality, behavior, ect. If you happy to think that is to much time and effort or unnecessary then you shouldn’t even own a pet imo.

Now i feel bad, i was about to sell bailey to get a new and bigger bird. Changed my mind

i hope that was a joke Adze. i don’t feel mya’s any better than penny.

Glad you changed your mind, I love budgies. They are such cheerful little guys! I’m considering getting one myself.

Michael, those links were heart wrenching poor babies…

Horrid reading on those links! I’m so glad our local bird/pet shop is nice to their birds. Always clean and tidy cages, food and water always clean without fail. They’re forever with a young bird on a shoulder or helping people with ones they bring in. Only thing I don’t like is the amount of budgies in the indoor display cage. I’m hoping they go to the big one again at night.Another local pet shop rehomes SPCA cats instead of selling puppies/kittens, which I think is FAB

Michael wrote:I don’t feel bad about the ones who end up in legitimate homes. Some people genuinely do give them equal respect/care as the “bigger/better” parrots. But as for the rest of them, it’s absolutely terrible! Many get treated like nothing more than fish in a tank! Never let out, poorly fed, barely looked after. While I do see them as a good “beginner bird” for someone who is serious but inexperienced in owning parrots, most of the hands they end up in are just awful. When people see the bird for $15 between the $10 mouse and the $20 hamster… they think it’s some good entertainment for the money. Heck even a game costs more than that.This is about as bad as it gets though!This comes pretty close as well.My kids brought home a carnival gold fish. After all the little fish have been through they rarely live. I put her in a bowl that I changed the water (no big filtration system) and she lived 8 years. She learned to beg from anyone who came near her. She was the biggest and fatest fish, short of a Koy that I have ever seen. We loved Goldie even if we didn’t bother to come up with a better name.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/carnival-abuse-of-budgies