Bird Disaster Plans

I live in an area where severe weather (tornadoes, hurricanes) and natural disasters (earthquakes, wild fires, tsunamis) are very rare. I’ve never thought of a disaster plan for myself, let alone my birds. With today’s outbreak of severe weather (multiple tornadoes in NC, GA, OK, SC, TX, MS – death toll 17 as of 5:29 EDT – severe whether rolling through the Mid-Atlantic region causing flooding, power outages, and hail), it got me wondering about how I would go about evacuating myself and my birds from my apartment building to somewhere safe. And I must say, I really can’t think of anything that would better their chances of survival if some disaster were to happen. So, Parrot Forum, what are your disaster plans? Do you have a separate plan for different scenarios, i.e. fire plan is different than earthquake plan which is different from tornado plan?

Apparently, we get a lot of earthquakes where I am, but they’re way to small to notice. There was one last year, but it wasn’t anything to worry about. Besides that, I live in a pretty disaster free area. However, there us always the risk of a fire or carbon monoxide.Back when the birds had small cages, I could of just put them in the same cage and leave with them. However, since I bought the larger cages, I had to devise a new plan. I had to buy a carrier. Not just for emergencies, but also for vet visits. I need to buy a second one, but I guess if there’s a fire, having all three of them in the carrier if better than releasing them out the window or leaving them.

zazanomore wrote:Back when the birds had small cages, I could of just put them in the same cage and leave with them. However, since I bought the larger cages, I had to devise a new plan. I had to buy a carrier. Not just for emergencies, but also for vet visits. I need to buy a second one, but I guess if there’s a fire, having all three of them in the carrier if better than releasing them out the window or leaving them.I kept the budgies small cage so I can always put all three birds in that. I’m just really concerned about being able to do so in a short amount of time. In Eastern Pennsylvania (also in Southern New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and Eastern West Virginia) we have tornado warnings which is what made me wonder in the first place. The likelihood of my area having a tornado outbreak is very slim as we’re surrounded on all sides by mountains, but on the off chance that there is one, I’m worried about being able to get all three of them in one small cage in under two minutes.

Shame hey, hope you’ll never be in the situation where a disaster strikes that you’ll need to get into your emergency plan. However its a great idea to be prepared for any situation.We don’t have any disasters here that I know of, in case of a fire or something random like that id just grab lorenzo under a towel or jersey and get outside. dont know how much time id have to just force a harness on him. for you it would be good to have a carrier or one of those bird backpack things so that you can just get them in and go. but you say you have a 2 minute time limit :/If you think your chances of getting hit by a tornado or something are very high how about doing some emergency test evacuations. I forgot what they’re called. Like a fire drill…?say once a week you see how fast you can get the birds in anything (box, carrier, small cage, backpack…etc) and then you should get a rough idea of which birds cause a problem or what needs to be trained into them to make it faster. it could even be a game for them, like a recall game. if you point at the cage (fill it with treats or something they cant resist), call a special word out loud and hopefully they all fly towards it or even in it.Hope Im making sense but again I hope you never need an emergency evacuation with the birds.

ive actually thought about what i would do in a fire with marty and all my other pets… id grab marty hold onto his feet try to find my crazy cat then run up stairs get my dogs out and hopefully my other cat… basically id let them all run outside except marty :confused: idk how well this will work idk if ill be able to find the cats in that small amount of time but hopefully… and the dogs id just open the door and theyd go lol

We don’t have disasters with any regularity, knock on wood. The huge fire storms years ago, in some places people had to leave their animals or set them loose and hope for the best. Depends on what you have. If you just have a few pets, I’m sure it’s manageable. If a fire comes near me the plan is to open all the cages on the breeders, set the horses, chickens, goats and peacocks loose; grab the household pets and head east towards the deserts of Imperial County.

patdbunny wrote: If a fire comes near me the plan is to open all the cages on the breeders, set the horses, chickens, goats and peacocks loose; grab the household pets and head east towards the deserts of Imperial County.See, I knew those deserts had to be good for something. My boyfriend was out there fishing down there yesterday and said it was 100 degrees by the time it was 10 in the morning.

Global warming, man! I was so freakin’ hot yesterday! And it’s supposed to be hot again today. Then tomorrow summer’s over again and it’s supposed to drop 10 degrees!Last fires Imperial county hotels were full up with San Diegans.

patdbunny wrote:Global warming, man! I was so freakin’ hot yesterday! And it’s supposed to be hot again today. Then tomorrow summer’s over again and it’s supposed to drop 10 degrees!Last fires Imperial county hotels were full up with San Diegans.Talk about Global Warming, it was 86 degrees here Monday and then dropped to 42 Tuesday. I don’t remember when it’s ever been 86 degrees in April. Up in Bridgeport where my boyfriend actually lives, it’s still in the 30s. California has some wonky climate conditions.

I keep the spare small cage in a corner with essentials in the bottom (water bottle, some food, perches) so if something were to happen I could get her into the carrier, grab the cage and go without worrying about supplies for her for a couple days. I’m worried if something were to happen while I was away and couldn’t get to her though :confused: