Birds and Sugar Gliders

I don’t have either right now, but in the future, I would like to have both. When I get a bird, it will either be a lovebird or a cockatiel. I was wondering if you thought it would be okay to keep both simultaneously? (I would not let them out together). I know in the wild, sugar gliders eat bird eggs and little baby birds, but grown birds are their primary predators. It is not uncommon for gliders to bond with pets as well as people when they get adopted, and some people say they even bond with their birds, but I would want to be extra-sure they’d be safe in the same house before I got both.Here’s a website about them:http://www.sugarbears.comYour thoughts?

Aren’t they the cutest things. I don’t know one way or the other. There is a thread here about ferrets and parrots, it would seem most believe that if you are a responsible owner it can work out. Personally I wouldn’t want to live such a vigilant life. Accidents happen, doors get left open, the phone rings and distracts you while one or the other is left out, one of them is smart enough to escape without your notice, I wouldn’t want the extra work and worry. Since you don’t have either maybe choose one.

Aren’t they cute? One of my friends just got one and I was like " I’M IN LOVE!!"I think parrots vs. ferrets is a bit different from parrots vs. sugar gliders, so that’s why I’m a bit confused about if I could get both. They’re both prey animals - and if I got a cockatiel - they’re both from Australia so I don’t know if they’re both so low on the food chain that they don’t pay attention to each other. If I got both, I would definitely keep them in separate parts of the house because gliders are nocturnal and birds are not, and I wouldn’t want the bird to lose sleep because the gliders are making noise. Plus, the gliders will be sound asleep when I’m playing with the bird. So… yeah, I’m really torn. And the fact that both gliders and cockatiels live about 15 years doesn’t help. I love them both, so if I got just one, I’d have to do without the other for a long time.

Maybe find out how they interact with each other in the wild, then go from there. If you feel you can keep them in separate rooms and have it work out and be responsible with them, then go for it. I think doing some research on the two of them together would be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion! I have plenty of time for more research because I’m going to college next year (no pets allowed in the dorms) so I won’t be able to have pets for about 5 years.