Birds on airplanes

I will be travelling from Europe to Canada with my flock. The first time I contacted the airline they said that transporing the birds would be no problem and they gave me the cage requirments. However, when I contacted them again I was told that they no longer shipped birds due to the fact that they wouldn´t survive in the non pressurized area where the animals are kept. I don´t know what to do or what my options are. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Depending on what airline you take, some offer the option to carry on the birds with you. The carriers must fit under the floor in front of you like a carry on bag would, and usually it runs about $60 USD. I’m not sure how many birds you’re limited to, and I’m not sure if it’s the same in Denmark as it is in the US.

No idea about international flights, customs, quarantine and duties. But here’s my experience with parrots and airplanes:http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid= … +of+Parrothttp://trainedparrot.com/Truman-AirplaneTruman was airline shipped to me from Florida. However, I would be very reluctant to fly with my parrots with them anywhere but the cabin. This is why I only take them to places I can reach by private plane.

http://trainedparrot.com/index.php?bid=7&article=Thoughts+About+Air+Carrier+Delivery+of+Parrot

I did some googling and it looks like many airlines have a limit of one pet per customer, with a maximum of six pets in one flight at a time. Most airlines do not allow pets to travel in the cabin on international flights and the ones that do require a lot of paperwork. Your bird may also need to be quarantined when entering the destination country, and that quarantine may last 30 to 45 days. It should also be said that if you find an airline that will allow your birds to travel as checked baggage, they may have restrictions on the months and/or temperatures they will allow the birds to fly in. Some may also restrict the countries your birds can be shipped to in certain months. Some pets may also be shipped as cargo, but there needs to be someone to meet them at the final destination. Proper paperwork is required, meaning it has to meet local, state, country and international guidelines. Fees may be assessed if these requirements aren’t met. Extreme weather guidelines still apply.

Goodness. I have nothing of substance to add to your answer but I do wish you the best of luck in getting your flock to where you’re going!

Thank you for all your answers.I contacted a company that specializes in animal transportation so I‘ll just have to wait and see what comes out of that.

if I may ask, is this a vacation or a move? I would be very interested to know how everything turns out. I was worried to have Jo with me on a 10 hour car ride, you are traveling around the globe!! good luck anyway!!

rebeccaturpeinen wrote:if I may ask, is this a vacation or a move? I would be very interested to know how everything turns out. I was worried to have Jo with me on a 10 hour car ride, you are traveling around the globe!! good luck anyway!! It is a move. I am very worried and I hope everything goes well.