Birthday present to myself... not a bird

Well, picked up this little guy yesterday.10" Alligator Snapping turtle, he’s got quite the attitude on him and makes my 4" common snapping turtle look like a puppy.I love how prehistoric looking he is (and rightly so, this species is the sole-surviving member of a genus of turtle that dates back more than 10 million years ago)Enjoy.
DSC02188.JPG
(64.48 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

DSC02191.JPG
					(61.71 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

./download/file.php?id=1121&sid=8bb738befb987687b24cc975188849f8

Munchy wrote:awesome!yeah gotta admit, it is pretty cool

Oh wow he is amazing. Happy birthday (early or belated)

Hadn’t thought about it in a long time, but 'bout a hundred years ago we lived in Serra Mesa section of San Diego, and had a soft shell turtle. We got him from a neighbor who was moving, and we sold him when we moved to Surf City. The buyer was nervous, as he was obviously a collector, and knew they were illegal to have. I didn’t know that.GB

Kitty - he is beautiful.When I volunteered at the NC zoo the only problem I had with a snapper was picking him up.

liz wrote:Kitty - he is beautiful.When I volunteered at the NC zoo the only problem I had with a snapper was picking him up.That is indeed the trickiest part… suprisingly the Alligator snapper is much easier to handle than the common snapper (much less "reach" in the neck length)

He looks great, beautiful in a wierd way.Where do they usually live? Is he housed in a terrarium, aquarium or a combo?Oh and happy birthday!

cml wrote:He looks great, beautiful in a wierd way.Where do they usually live? Is he housed in a terrarium, aquarium or a combo?Oh and happy birthday!Usually they live in the southeastern US.He’s got a 75gallon stock pond to himself, this species rarely ventures out of the water.