Book Recommendations

There seems to be a few readers on this board, so I thought it appropriate that rather than hijack the ‘your hobbies’ thread, I try a ‘what are you reading that’s excellent?’ thread.I can highly recommend ‘Sum: Forty Tales From the Afterlives’ by David Eagleman. It’s forty short possibilities for the afterlife presented in a nice mixture of art and science. My favourite tale is (on my tumblr - sorry for the skinny columns) this one http://imaginarydinosaur.tumblr.com/post/2441453588/when-you-die-you-feel-as-though-there-were-someI also think that Suzanne Collins’ ‘The Hunger Games’ series is phenomenal, though there have already been a few mentions of that series on these boards.What do you recommend?

http://imaginarydinosaur.tumblr.com/post/2441453588/when-you-die-you-feel-as-though-there-were-some

Man’s Search for Meaning - Vicktor FranklThe Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret AtwoodThe Boy Who Harnessed the Wind - William KamkwambaI Shall Not Hate - Izzeldin AbuelaishA Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L’Engle (Any of her books really)The Uglies Trilogy - Scott WesterfeldAll of these books are fantastic

Another L’Engle fan! I sometimes think she raised me more than my parents did.I do mostly popcorn reading these days. I love Rita Mae Brown’s Sneaky Pie Brown and Hunt series, great animal characterizations (including some owls and other country birds), skillful writing and just a romp. I got Mark Twain’s autobiography for the holidays but am hampered by the fact that it is such a thick volume it is very hard to read in bed, which is where I do most of my reading! I am so looking forward to it, though.

entrancedbymyGCC wrote:Another L’Engle fan! I sometimes think she raised me more than my parents did.I first read A Wrinkle in Time when I was in the 3rd grade. I remember that it scared me, and made very little sense. But I re-read it when I was in the 6th grade, and I understood it way better. I then went on to read the rest of the books.

If you have the stomach for it, try Chuck Palahniuk - the author of Fight Club and Rant (VERY good books). Some of his other stuff … you’ll go from disgusted, to amazed, to enlightened and back to disgusted again.The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold, disturbing and beautiful and poignant and far more superior to the film, which was $**t!!!Diana Wynne Jones’ Howl’s Moving Castle … it is a little young read, but it is adorable and sweet and funny and the book that i always come back to when i’m down and want to be reminded of my childhood. and in my opinion, Howl would be my dream man lol.if you like sci-fi try Lillith saintcrow - i loved her so much i named my cockatiel after one of her main characters - Tierce Japhrimel from the Dante Valentine series.Hope that helps

I love Chuck Palahniuk

you have immense good taste - in birds and books lol. which one have you read? i took haunted out of my local library … my sister read it first and then told me about it … i have issues with umm - umm - canna - cannabilism … so i didn’t read it. apart from that she said it was an awesome book lol

I’ve read Fight Club and Survivor. Great reads.

zazanomore wrote:I first read A Wrinkle in Time when I was in the 3rd grade. I remember that it scared me, and made very little sense. But I re-read it when I was in the 6th grade, and I understood it way better. I then went on to read the rest of the books.I read it at about the same age, and rather than being scared was comforted. I was absolutely mesmerized by the tesseract description. I’d run into the concept also in Heinlein…but not gotten it as well. I was, er, a bit precocious with my reading, I snuck books from my father’s collection. I came across “The Arm of the Starfish” much later and that’s when I really got hooked. I have read all of her juveniles, most of her adult novels, and a few of her essay books. I was actually suprised when I found out she was considered a Christian writer – I always found her to blend science with wonder and, true, a strong sense of Good, but also realistic and very human – even her nonhuman characters are very human.

Survivor? oooohh I haven’t read that one - no cannabilism?i love this topic, i’m gonna have to look up a wrinkle in time now