Call for Sticky Articles

Requests for these have been made on a few occasions but no one has yet volunteered to write one so I will mention all the major topics we’re still looking for:1) Cage sizes by species (including bar spacing, minimum, and suggested sizes)2) Bird proofing your room or home (particularly for a flighted parrot)3) FAQ of all things about parrotsAny takers? Any other sticky articles we mentioned needed to be written?

I can tackle the cage sizes and bar spacings by species but it may take me a week or so.

No rush. But I know you are obsessed with enormous cages… be fair about recommending a minimum and keep in mind that not everyone can afford or has the space for a huge cage for a small parrot. You can write a paragraph about what conditions (out of cage time, etc) should be met when using a minimum cage and that it’s much better to get bigger, etc but do give an honest minimum.

bird body language is something I’d like to read more about, seeing video identifying what some of the actions mean would be especially cool to have in a article like that (though possibly very difficult to catch on tape…?)

Michael wrote:No rush. But I know you are obsessed with enormous cages… be fair about recommending a minimum and keep in mind that not everyone can afford or has the space for a huge cage for a small parrot. You can write a paragraph about what conditions (out of cage time, etc) should be met when using a minimum cage and that it’s much better to get bigger, etc but do give an honest minimum.Well, I’ll put my honest minimums but if you aren’t okay with them you might want to get somebody else for this article. Let me know. To give you an idea, I’d put 24 x 22 or thereabouts as a minimum for most Pois and bigger Conures etc.

Michael wrote:Requests for these have been made on a few occasions but no one has yet volunteered to write one so I will mention all the major topics we’re still looking for:1) Cage sizes by species (including bar spacing, minimum, and suggested sizes)…I already volunteered for this one (9th post down: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3034&p=18211&hilit=bar+spacing#p18211) …and I have it half-done already. Did you want me to stop?

pchela wrote:Well, I’ll put my honest minimums but if you aren’t okay with them you might want to get somebody else for this article. Let me know. To give you an idea, I’d put 24 x 22 or thereabouts as a minimum for most Pois and bigger Conures etc.The sticky articles are meant to be more centrist and informative rather than just personal opinion. You can go based on published recommendations or host a few trial discussions to see what a variety of members concur is a minimum/optimum for a certain species. It shouldn’t be your personal minimum of what you keep your own birds in.

Rue wrote:I already volunteered for this one (9th post down: http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php … ing#p18211) …and I have it half-done already. Did you want me to stop?No no, don’t stop. I’m sure that Pchela wouldn’t mind if you already began work on it. I just hadn’t seen any final results so I didn’t realize you already started. I wanted to see if anyone would write but since you’re already doing it, that’s fantastic and you should definitely keep going. Just keep in mind what I said previously about trying to be more objective and going with what books or a majority of parrot owners would agree the sizes are rather than just what you would ideally like to see. If in doubt about a certain size, feel free to start a poll or ask around on the forum to see what people use.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3034&p=18211&hilit=bar+spacing#p18211

Michael wrote:pchela wrote:Well, I’ll put my honest minimums but if you aren’t okay with them you might want to get somebody else for this article. Let me know. To give you an idea, I’d put 24 x 22 or thereabouts as a minimum for most Pois and bigger Conures etc.The sticky articles are meant to be more centrist and informative rather than just personal opinion. You can go based on published recommendations or host a few trial discussions to see what a variety of members concur is a minimum/optimum for a certain species. It shouldn’t be your personal minimum of what you keep your own birds in.I’ve often read that 24" x 22" was a minimum for the smaller Pois so I don’t think it’s only a personal thing.

As Natacha said, it’s not a personal thing. I’ve read that minimum for Pois in several publications as well as the other minimums I would suggest. But… I will be happy to bow out if Rue has already started on this topic. Thanks Rue! Let me know if you want any input or help (though I’m sure you’ve got a handle on it).