'Cape parrot rivals the intelligence of an African Grey'?

I’ve read from a few sources that Capes are just as smart as an African Grey. I know there are a few Cape owners here, would you really consider them exceptionally intellectual and cognitive?

LOL, Michael! I’d say Scotty is pretty smart, but I haven’t spent that much time around Greys, so it would be hard to make a direct comparison. He’s got a very large “vocabulary” and he learns quickly. He’s also pretty good at being manipulative. Somewhere he picked up an “Awwwww…” sound, you know, the kind of sound a girl might make if she felt sorry for a bird. Well, he makes that sound if he slips, winds up on the ground, and sometimes when he senses you are annoyed with him. So, yeah, I think he’s pretty bright.

I have a grey(SodaPop) and a cape(Jupiter) and think that both are equally smart. They both talk, get into trouble, can get an attitude and are both great birds. Has anyone seen Disco the budgie? Here is his video link . He is a hoot and knows a lot of words too. I truly think that all animal species are smart and intelligence is just relative. The question that we should be asking is are we smart enough to figure out what they are trying to communicate to us

purringparrot wrote:I have a grey(SodaPop) and a cape(Jupiter) and think that both are equally smart. They both talk, get into trouble, can get an attitude and are both great birds. Has anyone seen Disco the budgie? Here is his video link . He is a hoot and knows a lot of words too. I truly think that all animal species are smart and intelligence is just relative. The question that we should be asking is are we smart enough to figure out what they are trying to communicate to ushaha disco is awesome iv been in a horribly bad mood all day and that defiantly put a smile on my face is it weird i was completely entertained by that for 5 min and 41 sec?gotta say my fav bit is when disco goes 'my name is cat! meow meow meow…'LOL!

The most underrated bird

This is now hopelessly OT, but I got a much needed smile while stuck at the airport having missed my flight.One thing, though, is that Disco is not speaking in context, although there is context within the phrase combinations. That’s a bit different from, say, Alex. But he has quite the vocabulary!

Michael wrote:I’ll ask Truman. And I’ll ask Isabeau! Actually, I can absolutely see a difference in awareness between my Grey and the others. I have limited experience with Capes but the one that used to board at the pet store did not give me the impression that he was any smarter than the other birds. Of course, he was in a strange environment away from home so this is by no means a fair conclusion.

I have noticed that Jupiter(cape) is more mechanical then SodaPop(CAG). Jupiter was working on a toy that had a plastic knob on it that was not meant to come off but he tried his hardest to try and get it off. When chewing didn’t work he tried twisting and when that didn’t work he took paper and put it over the knob and tried twisting it off that way, kinda of like when we use a dishtowel to open a jar with a slippery lid. In the end he just kept chewing on it until it wore away