Cat repellent safe for parrots?

We have cats that keep coming into our yard and urinating/defecating and it’s getting ridiculous.On top of that, whenever I have the birds in their outdoor cage, I’m always worried the cats will get to them or bother them. So, I haven’t been letting them outside lately.I’ve been trying to find ways to repel the cats. I’ve been looking into some of those ultra-sonic sound barriers that keep animals out.Has anyone ever used something similar? I want to know if they are safe for parrots (i.e. the parrots wouldn’t be affected by the sound).I’ll also welcome any other ideas you may have for cat deterrents. Thank you!-Michelle

Are the cats someone’s pets that they just let wander around? If so, ask them to keep the cats inside or restrict them to an area of the yard that they can’t escape from. If they’re not, you could always find a no kill shelter that would take them. I would highly suggest against the Humane Society or SPCA because they do put the animals down if no one will adopt them in a certain amount of time. If you don’t have a no kill shelter, a lot of people with barns or other farm type things will use cats as mousers. Other than that, I have no idea if an ultra-sonic cat repellant would work. I don’t know if parrots hear at the same frequency cats do, so hopefully someone else will. However, make sure to absolutely not use the spray repellants. Those aren’t good for the cats and certainly won’t be for the birds. I love cats, though, so my suggestions may be biased. And I mean, I really love cats. If you’ve ever seen Must Love Cats on Animal Planet… that’s me minus the guitar.

Thank you so much for your input.The cats are our neighbors’ pets (multiple neighbors). And both neighbors are on either side of us, so our house is the “middle ground” where the cats hang out. Especially our drive way…The cats don’t seem to bother anyone else and I don’t really know how to ask the neighbors to “keep the cats in” because they are outdoor cats and I don’t even know how someone would do that. I think it would be rather difficult. So, instead of possibly making our neighbors angry (we moved in a couple months ago and want to be on nice terms with everyone), I was trying to find a way for us to keep the cats out instead of them having to keep their cats in.-Michelle

I guess the solution in this case is to be outside at all times with your birds while they’re in their cage so you can intervene and physically chase the cats away if they try to approach.

do you have a zoo near you? this sounds gross but it works.buy a bag of lion or tiger poo (or some other mammal predator) that are not from the came country as your bird and mix it in with the soil around your perimeter of your property to the edge of the fence outside and inside.its natural

Since they’re pets and you don’t want to anger your neighbors, you could try a couple different things. For one, cats don’t like the scent of Coleus Canina. It’s commonly referred to as the “pee off plant” or the “scaredy cat.” The scent bothers cats, dogs, and foxes. It’s actually a beautiful plant, too, so planting it in a garden won’t be unsightly. The second is the herb rue, lavendar, or pennyroyal. Again, the scent of the plant should deter the cats. The rue is also a beautiful plant with blue flowers, so it won’t be too obvious as to what you’re doing. If you don’t mind the cats in general and would be okay with them in one specific area, you could plant a cluster of cat nip in a “cat safe” area. This way, the cats are distracted by a treat and wouldn’t be likely to venture into other areas or go after the birds. You could also put a little sand box here which would serve as a litter box. While you’d still have the poop problem, it’d more than likely be contained to one area.Water is also surprisingly effective at keeping cats out of yards. Most cats, even outdoor cats, prefer not to get wet. I’m assuming the cats are out at certain times that you’ve noticed. You could try using a sprinkler and setting it for these times so that the cats learn that your yard will giving them a shocking shower. They’ll learn pretty quickly that your yard is no longer fun and find another place to go hang out. This has the added benefit of a beautiful lawn. Also in the line of water, there’s a product called Scarecrow Sprinklers. These detect the presence of an intruder and fire off a blast of water at it. Another product is Shake Away that smells like the urine of cat predators. Because it smells, the cats will learn that this yard has predators and isn’t safe. You could also try blood meal fertilizer or mothballs. I’m not sure how effective they are, but some people say this works. Mothballs are toxic, so they should be used only in a covered jar or tin so that no wildlife can get to them. Now that I’ve written a book here, I guess I could stop. I really hope you find a solution so that both the birds and the cats are safe. I really don’t like when cats are left outdoors, not only because they hurt the native populations, but they’re not prepared to deal with things like cars. I’ve seen so many people do awful things to cats because they were a nuisance and it really makes me sad. I don’t think you’d do anything to hurt the cats, but your neighbors should be a bit more careful with them!

My suggestion is a big bad dog, I’m going to have one in my new yard. Of course a jack russell might be better choice.I usually trap em and sit them out by the street so their owners can save them but you’ll never catch that cat in a trap again and that dosn’t leave to many options. Be glad your dealing with cats instead of coons.

I’m w/ Capt. GSD. Jack Russell Terrorists might be hard to train to leave the birds alone depending on your experience training dogs.

I suppose if you don’t want a dog you can also do cat proof fencing:http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/ … 1287673554http://www.animalnetwork.org/ANIMAL_NET … encing.htm

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/92232/283152.html?1287673554

Thank you all so much for your help! I didn’t realize this would be so difficult. I think our best option might be to plant cat-deterring plants. We could watch the birds outside all the time, but that doesn’t help the nasty cat urine/poop smell when we’re trying to enjoy our yard. Same thing with the predator animal poo. Also, we can’t have a dog, and since we don’t own the place, I’d rather not spend a bunch of money building a cat-proof fence (which seems to be mostly for keeping cats in instead of out).So, I might experiment with the various cat-unfriendly plants. That might be our safest and easiest bet. Thank you all so much! -Michelle