Cockatiel crest fallen out plz reply ASAP

Hi, I have noticed that my cockatiels crest has fallen out. I am really worried and I am not sure what caused this. Please can someone tell me what it is?

The entire crest or just some feathers? My cockatiel has been known to shed some crest feathers, though it doesn’t happen as often as he shed the others.Does your cockatiel live alone or with other birds? Maybe one of the other birds could have severed his crest?

My cockatiel has lost the odd crest feather. When new feathers come in, the old need to come out. But never the entire crest at once. If that is what is happening, maybe you should see a vet.

What happened was, I lent him to a friend and they accidentally let it out, it smashed the window they all fell out (crest) and he has a scab there. He has been acting as usual, any thing I can do?

VET VET VET VET!ASAP!

Ladu - you LENT him to a friend?

He broke the feathers at the base, they died like a plant and fell out. Two really bad things can occur from this. They could damage the follicle and cause polyfolliculitis, icky nasty. That can become clogged, infected, just nasty. A broken blood feather which never heals correctly because the base of the feather is still there… infection, blood loss (as in death in extreme cases).I am sure there are other things too. The best case is the old feathers get pushed out and new feathers come in just fine. I would highly recommend a vet to look at the feathers/follicles and ensure that everything is fine.Mike

liz wrote:Ladu - you LENT him to a friend?What is wrong with that? Perhaps she means a friend was looking after the bird for whatever reason. Perhaps the friend had had two birds, one died and the other was suffering so wanted to borrow one short term to help out the other bird. Perhaps she had a friend that was considering getting a bird and wanted to know what it was like to own one.Ladu, best of luck with your bird, I’d suggest a visit to your vet, not just to check the feathers but to check the bird all over after the crash.

Yes I think a vet visit is a very good idea. You don’t want him to be in pain and you also don’t want him to get an infection.

CheekyandMalolo wrote:liz wrote:Ladu - you LENT him to a friend?What is wrong with that? Perhaps she means a friend was looking after the bird for whatever reason. Perhaps the friend had had two birds, one died and the other was suffering so wanted to borrow one short term to help out the other bird. Perhaps she had a friend that was considering getting a bird and wanted to know what it was like to own one.Ladu, best of luck with your bird, I’d suggest a visit to your vet, not just to check the feathers but to check the bird all over after the crash.Your right. I did it again. I caught one word and thought the worst.Sorry Landu