Cockatiel vs Conure

Hello!I have decided to get a bird, but I can’t decide between a Cockatiel or a Conure. I’m looking for a bird that is cuddly, affectionate and Intelligent. I would also like to teach it whistle tunes. I currently live on a 2 and 1/2 acre land and don’t mind listening to it whistle all day.I have plenty of time to spare to look after and care for it. Thanks!!! So… vs

Cockatiels are great at whistling and are very cuddly and affectionate in my experience.

I don’t agree. Cockatiels, although there are exceptions, are not considered cuddly, affectionate or easy to train to specific vocalizations - and they don’t do well at all on their own. If you are home all day long and can spend hours with the bird, I would go with a male GCC (females don’t seem to learn whistles or words as easily as the males).

Pajarita wrote:I don’t agree. Cockatiels, although there are exceptions, are not considered cuddly, affectionate or easy to train to specific vocalizations - and they don’t do well at all on their own. If you are home all day long and can spend hours with the bird, I would go with a male GCC (females don’t seem to learn whistles or words as easily as the males).I disagree not all cockatiels are cuddly but some are and most are affectionate and cockatiels are great whistlers and Rocko did very well living alone if you have time to keep them company all day they can live happily alone.Same as people say lovebirds need a mate they dont if your with it all hours and it has company.

My dear, a human can never, ever, ever satisfy the needs of any of the small aviary species. Think about it for a second and you will realize it’s physically impossible. There are a lot of people who say this but it’s more wishful thinking that reality… Nature evolved a particular species to have (and need) a certain social structure and grouping and the lack of it always has a negative effect on the emotional (and even physical) health of the animal. This is the reason why we now have rules for keeping animals in captivity which organizations have to adhere to (places like zoos, aquariums, etc) and why there is people who study and devote their life to making the captive conditions as similar as what nature intended them to have (you ever heard of zoo designers?).

Pajarita wrote:My dear, a human can never, ever, ever satisfy the needs of any of the small aviary species. Think about it for a second and you will realize it’s physically impossible. There are a lot of people who say this but it’s more wishful thinking that reality… Nature evolved a particular species to have (and need) a certain social structure and grouping and the lack of it always has a negative effect on the emotional (and even physical) health of the animal. This is the reason why we now have rules for keeping animals in captivity which organizations have to adhere to (places like zoos, aquariums, etc) and why there is people who study and devote their life to making the captive conditions as similar as what nature intended them to have (you ever heard of zoo designers?).Yep I agree with you there you cant truly satisfy their needs even though I spent a lot of time with Rocko I still had to go to school so he would have been lonely for a few hours now he has Loki to keep him company but Conures can also get lonely.And no damage is done if they dont have a mate if your an Adult that is a actually with the bird every single hour also I like having more than 1 bird most people do I just cant have one lol.

it is always better to have a buddy. I moved away from mine and have n ot had time to make new ones so I feel very alone even though my family is with me.I have watched youtube videos with two of the same spcies of little bird. the play together and even wrestle but are both bonded to their human.

liz wrote:it is always better to have a buddy. I moved away from mine and have n ot had time to make new ones so I feel very alone even though my family is with me.I have watched youtube videos with two of the same spcies of little bird. the play together and even wrestle but are both bonded to their human.Yeah Rocko and Loki and Rio are tame but still bonded to me well Rio idk if hes actually fully bonded with me yet but hes tame.

You could even get 2 hand tame of either species so they can both bond with you two and have company when your gone.And you could get 1 and another later after one has a bond with you.

You could also rescue two that are already bonded. Lola’s last human got a male cockatiel to be her buddy but it bonded to the amazon instead of Lola. That left Lola alone again. (of course now she has many buddies and is still bonded to me)