Cuddliest of the small ones

After much deliberation with my wife, I’ve decided that I will not be getting a Cockatoo in my lifetime. By the time my career finally has me not traveling every 3 months I’ll be in my 70s and unable to enjoy a cockatoo who isn’t in its 30s or older. However, we’ve decided that it would be alright to get a second bird for me in time that wouldn’t be prone to plucking.Here’s where I stand. I love Loki, but he’s not a super huge cuddle bug. He’s more like a heterosexual sweet bro best friend that I love, but I don’t hug because we think touching each other’s dongs is gay. I scratch his neck sometimes, but he mostly doesn’t like being touched, and most of our interaction includes either training, or him going for walks with me. I would like to get a cuddly small bird.I’ve always enjoyed the idea of a caique because they fit my personality really well, but I also know conure’s are a crowd favorite. Out of curiousity, are Caique’s generally super cuddly, and what is the cuddliest conure out there? Before anybody says anything, veterans already know I hate tiels, so we’re not going there.

I think that you are allowing the MBS to run rampant too soon and that it would serve you and your birds best to wait a few years (you just got your birds some weeks ago, they haven’t even actually settled down yet) and see exactly how you do with parrots because it’s one thing when you first get them and even the first couple of years, but it turns into a huge onus when you’ve been their slave for ten.But, to answer your question, personally, I think that senegals are very cuddly (at least all of mine were and still are) but they are also hell on wheels when it comes to possessiveness and sharing your affection and you have large birds which could be a problem. And then, of course, there are the GCCs which are VERY affectionate and cuddly but, again, your large birds would present a problem because they are jealous little things. Caiques are not really that cuddly, I would say that their most outstanding characteristic is their playfulness (they are little clowns when young).Personally, I would not trust a little one with an ekkie. They always go for the kill and they don’t really give you any warning so any little bird is at risk around them. It was an ekkie that kill the one and only bird I’ve lost due to another’s attack and she did not even blinked! And I have a friend that had been arguing with me for years (7 to be exact) that this was not so, that his Sophie would not hurt anybirdie and that I was biased in my opinion but he no longer argues now that his Sophie pulled the top beak off one of his lovebirds (and it won’t grow back, either).

Pajarita wrote:I think that you are allowing the MBS to run rampant too soon and that it would serve you and your birds best to wait a few years (you just got your birds some weeks ago, they haven’t even actually settled down yet) and see exactly how you do with parrots because it’s one thing when you first get them and even the first couple of years, but it turns into a huge onus when you’ve been their slave for ten.But, to answer your question, personally, I think that senegals are very cuddly (at least all of mine were and still are) but they are also hell on wheels when it comes to possessiveness and sharing your affection and you have large birds which could be a problem. And then, of course, there are the GCCs which are VERY affectionate and cuddly but, again, your large birds would present a problem because they are jealous little things. Caiques are not really that cuddly, I would say that their most outstanding characteristic is their playfulness (they are little clowns when young).Personally, I would not trust a little one with an ekkie. They always go for the kill and they don’t really give you any warning so any little bird is at risk around them. It was an ekkie that kill the one and only bird I’ve lost due to another’s attack and she did not even blinked! And I have a friend that had been arguing with me for years (7 to be exact) that this was not so, that his Sophie would not hurt anybirdie and that I was biased in my opinion but he no longer argues now that his Sophie pulled the top beak off one of his lovebirds (and it won’t grow back, either).This is about 3 years down the road. Right now I’m doing nothing more than scouting and opinion hunting.

You know, I’ve tended to avoid the senegals. But reviewing it, I think that will be MY next bird (wife is still going for a macaw). But, that will be when they have a bird room.Here’s my concern. Sakura won’t try to pick a fight with Loki because Loki is meaner. But, I’d feel bad for the Senegal if I had a time in the bird room where the cages were open and they were unsupervised. Should I keep baby senegal as far away from the big mean birdies as much as possible?

Out of curiousity, where do the mini-macaws and small cockatoos sit on this?

Since I own a caique, I can provide you with what I know from my own experience. My little cake, a little over 8 months old now, boy is she a handful! HIGHLY energetic and has an attitude as well. =P But she, towards me especially, is pretty damn cuddly. I have no idea if this changes when they get older since Pajarita stated they aren’t really known for being the cuddly kind of bird. It’s usually in the morning and before bedtime when she feels the need to cuddle.Besides the playfulness, they are pretty nippy as well. (she has made a murder weapon of her beak!) So you do have to be consistent on that cause they will push you. =P I think that if you are looking for a highly energetic bird with lots of attitude to go with, a cake is the way to go. xDAlso, my cake isn’t a picky eater at all and tries everything I offer her with little effort from my side.