Do you prefer to get a rescue or a rehomed parrot?

Would you prefer to accept a:

Rescue Parrot
				57%				

Rehomed Parrot
				43%				

Total votes : 21

In light of our recent discussion about what the differences between rehoming and rescuing are, I’m curious if you prefer to accept a rescue or rehomed parrot?You may answer either based on what you have already accepted, what you would prefer to accept, or just in theory what you would prefer. What are the advantages/disadvantages to the new owner of the parrot in the case of a rescue vs a rehomed?Just for clarification, we can assume that a rescue is a parrot under dire circumstances whereas a rehome is a more casual change of location.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2945

As I mentioned previously…there is something very appealing, even romantic…about a true rescue, so of the two choices that one would appeal to me more.But in reality - true rescues aren’t that common (I haven’t come across one yet, here in the Canadian prairies) and if you don’t have any bird experience, I wouldn’t recommend a rescue.Rehomes are fine. And if you want an older bird, you have no other option. When we got the CAG, I was actually wanting a 20+ year old Timneh. Couldn’t find one. Nickel was a 3 year old plucker…lol…close enough…

In theory I would love to take in a rescue. There’s just an amazing feeling that comes from rescuing an animal and giving them the loving home and proper care that it deserves. But rescuing dogs is different than rescuing parrots. In reality I don’t have the experience or expertise to rehabilitate a bird that came from adverse conditions. I chose rescue because that is something I would love to do and I would prefer to help an animal in need than to take in a bird that is getting relatively good care in the home that they’re in already.

I have a re-home, so that is my choice. I would love to take in a real rescue case. But I am fearful of all the complications. Like Mandy said, a rescue parrot is something entirely different than a rescue dog. I dont have a lot of experience with parrots, so I dont feel capable of rehabilitating a mistreated parrot.

aw, I need the “other” option. I take whatever is available in need. I guess in my area there just aren’t a lot of either. We have a few cockatiels or conures on craigslist from time to time and there is a rescue about 150 miles away, but they tend to keep the more severe cases and have a quick turn-around for placeable parrots.When I feel like we can add to the family I just start looking everywhere for someone who will fit in. I’ve met a lot of parrots, but I’d only bring one home that seemed to connect with me. I meet with as many as I can until I find one that connects to me on that special level.I don’t have a specific species in mind, I don’t care about color or gender. When there is room in my family to expand, we are unbiased. I just want to offer a home to someone who wants to be with us.This tactic has worked out beautifully for years, with both feathered and non-feathered friends. Some have been rescues and some have been rehomes, and some have been injured animals from the wild. I once spent 2 hours in the Walmart parking lot chasing a crow with broken wings. Pity I wasn’t able to catch him, he outsmarted me and got lost in all the cars. I still pray to this day he somehow managed to survive, though I doubt it

I can’t answer that because it would totally depend on the bird and the circumstances. We always assumed our first bird together would be a rehome – Bill’s amazon Sake who went to stay with his mother for a couple years and never left. But unfortunately he predeceased her by mere months. There is a moral highground to be found with either of these choices over what we are apparently about to do… buying a bird from a breeder or store. But there are also likely to be more problems associated with either a rescue or a rehome depending upon the specific circumstances.

Rrrma wrote:…I once spent 2 hours in the Walmart parking lot chasing a crow with broken wings. Pity I wasn’t able to catch him, he outsmarted me and got lost in all the cars. I still pray to this day he somehow managed to survive, though I doubt it I did that once with a seagull at Superstore! Chased it all over the parking lot, finally caught it…took it home (while it was trying to pluck out our eyes) for the night…rushed it to the vet college in the morning…When they saw what I had - they literally pushed me out of the building. Seagulls are considered ‘dirty birds’ and made me take it over to the neighbouring lab…I thought the lab would make arrangements to send it to some wildlife rehab…and while I was waiting, they just went ahead and euthanized it without telling me first! I did get the necropsy report in the mail (go figure). It was a healthy juvenile female gull with a broken wing. No diseases.

how horrible!!!I’d also like to amend my post by saying if I ever see an animal in need, I never turn my back on it if I can help it. Even if it is just to shelter them for a few days until I can get it somewhere that can truly help. I’ve sheltered wild animals over the weekend until the local wildlife center opened Monday morning, etc.

I find a rescue to be very rewarding. My Red-belly just needed to be taken out from the previous home and I was only going to shelter him but he’s not going anywhere now. He has been difficult but I see progress. Just recently he gained enough trust to let me scrach his head a bit so that was a great feeling.I guess there could be a third option a “new” parrot. It would be great if there was no need for rehome/rescuePS 4:25am I think I am becoming addicted to this forum

In theory I would rather a rehomed bird rather than a rescue since a rescue might be injured and require lots of medical care…If it came down to me taking in a rescue I would though. As a sad sidestory I once saw a fallen nest in my front yard and 4 robin chicks. This was one of my worst moments as a bird lover. I went to try and help them and their parents ,the fierce defenders they were, swooped down repeated times. Then I thought about what I could do for them and that was very little. I had to leave them out there and I never saw them again. I always think back to what I could have done differently.