Do your parrots smell the same?

This is especially for folks with multiple parrots of the same species. Do they smell the same or can you tell any difference?

Couldn’t tell you, as I don’t really have a good sense of smell!But based on what my mom has told me from her parrots smell - no, not from a species to another anyways. They all have their distinction.

Natacha wrote:Couldn’t tell you, as I don’t really have a good sense of smell!No wonder you can tolerate having so many!Natacha wrote:But based on what my mom has told me from her parrots smell - no, not from a species to another anyways. They all have their distinction.Well Ms Poicephalus lady, what about between species of the same genus?

Michael wrote:Natacha wrote:Couldn’t tell you, as I don’t really have a good sense of smell!No wonder you can tolerate having so many!Natacha wrote:But based on what my mom has told me from her parrots smell - no, not from a species to another anyways. They all have their distinction.Well Ms Poicephalus lady, what about between species of the same genus?From what I hear, birds aren’t stinky so…what would be the problem in having many? Oh and as far as many birds are concerned, while I think 7 is quite ok for me, I know many people with loads more… She never really said…it’s always the lovebirds smell like this, the greys smell like that, the cockatoos are different. Mind you, she’s never said that her Senegal smelled the same as the Meyer’s she was fostering.

The smell of my birds is detected by me because I hold them close enough to catch the fragrance. I’d have to say that my Senegals smell similar to one another, but have varying degrees of odor. In other words, some are stronger than others but the scent is the same. The same with my Cockatiels. Some of them have a very strong odor to their dander. My African Grey has his own odor that is unlike any of the other birds. And, again, the parakeets are different from one another too, but all have the same odor. My Cockatoo is similar to the Cockatiels, but has much more powder down and that seems to make the odor stronger.

You said some vary in strength. Is there any correlation to age or sex?

both my greencheek and cockatoo pretty much smell the same but my greencheek has a stronger odor.penny bathes more while mya only gets misted maybe that’s why penny has stronger scent.

the greys have a zoo smell, especially after being outside. Not sure how else to describe it, but it’s distinctive. I love their smell. the senegals odor is much more slight. Maybe a little like corn chips, but not edible. I very seldom notice a Senegal odor.

i think there are 2 main smelldifferences in birds where cockatoos, cockatiels and greys goes on one side ( among others , but I can only say the ones I come in contact with) these seems to hae one kind of smell some stronger than others etc, while amazons ans Macaws seems to have a totally different smell, especially macaws that sometimes smells fruity… I’m not sure why the smell differs, perhaps it has some corralation to what they impregnate their feathers with…About birds beeing stinky… nah not really, however I was away for a couple of days some time ago and when i came back home first thing i did was giving Polarn a shower… and it semlled like wet bird… not a too pleasent smell, like a wet dog smell… however when he gets his shower every it doesnt really smell as much for some reason…

My grey’s smell reminds me a bit of pepperoni, which is actually why I gave him an Italian name!