Does anybody else let their parrots play outside?

My dad and I have a Green Amazon Parrot and we let him play outside unattended and unclipped on Bowen Island. A very safe place. Barenys the most fiece and dangerous thing on Bowen if their harassing our other animals or stealing equitment. Does anybody else do this? People think were crazy or liars unless they see it.We’ve had the bird for 18+ years after his owner died suddenly. And his original owner the mans wife couldn’t handle him.He even likes to fly around the neighborhood or sleep outside alone on warm nights. He wasn’t trained to do this or come back. He just adores my father.

No, this is much too dangerous in my location to even consider.

I am sure he loves it but I would be afraid for him.

Holly Cow, what a beautiful, and yet totally terrifying thing! I know my nan used to ‘own’ a galah, fell out of the nest, so she took care of it, but with extreme lax conditions - it basically lived outside, and my nan was the soul flock member, the galah would always coming tapping at the window when wanting to come in.With my parrot i plan to take him outside, harnessed and supervised to play. Hes only been with me for a month, and only the last couple of days have we been outside for a few minuets with the harness on, slow and steady process for us atm - but soon yes, going outside will be apart of his schedule.

Most of us don’t live on an island and have way too many predators to be able to do this type of thing. Most of us live in places where even in a harness and sitting on our shoulder they are at risk from predatory birds taking them right off of our shoulders. This doesn’t even take into account all of the land based predators that share our living spaces. I would set all of my birds free if I lived in a place where they would be safe from predators such as an island that they could live and thrive on. Unfortunately that is not possible for my birds and myself. I would, however like very much to hear more and even see pictures.

Yes, but it would have to be a very small and deserted island, as far as I am concerned, because people are predators, too, and getting one wing hurt during an excursion could very well be the end of him (would die of dehydration and/or starvation) if the island is too big to searching for him when he doesn’t come back.

Roonil Wazlib wrote:Holly Cow, what a beautiful, and yet totally terrifying thing! I know my nan used to ‘own’ a galah, fell out of the nest, so she took care of it, but with extreme lax conditions - it basically lived outside, and my nan was the soul flock member, the galah would always coming tapping at the window when wanting to come in.With my parrot i plan to take him outside, harnessed and supervised to play. Hes only been with me for a month, and only the last couple of days have we been outside for a few minuets with the harness on, slow and steady process for us atm - but soon yes, going outside will be apart of his schedule.That is a little different. Your Nan rehabbed a wild bird. I have done that. A starling I named Friskies was hand fed because I could not find the nest. When he was able to fly, I opened the window and let him out to join in a flock that nested in my back yard. He came back every evening for a long time. He finally left when the flock did but comes back to the window every year for a hand out.

liz wrote:That is a little different. Your Nan rehabbed a wild bird. I have done that. A starling I named Friskies was hand fed because I could not find the nest. When he was able to fly, I opened the window and let him out to join in a flock that nested in my back yard. He came back every evening for a long time. He finally left when the flock did but comes back to the window every year for a hand out.That’s so sweet People like you make the world a better place

Roonil Wazlib wrote:liz wrote:That is a little different. Your Nan rehabbed a wild bird. I have done that. A starling I named Friskies was hand fed because I could not find the nest. When he was able to fly, I opened the window and let him out to join in a flock that nested in my back yard. He came back every evening for a long time. He finally left when the flock did but comes back to the window every year for a hand out.That’s so sweet People like you make the world a better place.Rocky the squirrel was knocked out of a tree during a September hurricane. His mom probably would have come back for him but people rescue before it is needed. He was brought to me as a hairless and blind baby. It was April before I could get him to leave home.

My birds spend the majority of their time "outside". They join me in the dive shop all day as I work and this an open air office where we meet and greet clients and do paperwork etc. in the afternoons they go walk about on staff and hang out at a play stand by the beach bar or in a covered sitting area in the beach. All are within my lube of sight. In the evenings they live in the "aviary" built off the back of my open air bathroom. This is a bamboo and bet and essentially aka the screened room with a roof over part of it. There are natural wood perches and climbing ropes wverywhere. The only cage we have is a small folding dog crate with a perch where the baby Zander the exlectus sleeps at night. They live being outsoirs, are well socialized and handled by people all day long. At each perching area they have food and water dishes as well and get rice, vegetables and pasta as well as fruit and their pellet and seed mixture.