Dog eating parrot poop!

Err so I noticed my disgusting dog has begun to vaccum up bird poop whenever he finds it. Of course, I stop this when I see it but I can’t watch him every second, nor do I find all Akilah’s leavings in time. All I’m asking is if there is any danger to my dog from this?

Dogs eat horse poop all the time with no ill effects… it’s probably not ideal, but I doubt it is seriously harmful, especially given the small quantity. The common wisdom is that coprophagias are sometimes due to mineral deficiencies in the diet… you might try changing dog food brands around to see if that decreases the desire…

Chris&Akilah wrote:Err so I noticed my disgusting dog has begun to vaccum up bird poop whenever he finds it. Of course, I stop this when I see it but I can’t watch him every second, nor do I find all Akilah’s leavings in time. All I’m asking is if there is any danger to my dog from this?Sure sounds convenient though

Oh it’s convenient, but not pleasant when he wanders by and licks you later . At least he doesn’t eat dog poo, then I’d be worried. I was wondering about salmonella, do parrots carry it?

Chris&Akilah wrote:Oh it’s convenient, but not pleasant when he wanders by and licks you later . At least he doesn’t eat dog poo, then I’d be worried. I was wondering about salmonella, do parrots carry it?No, not that I know of. I gather rare individuals could become carriers, but more typically they’d be sick from it. This is slightly OT, but the only reason its so rampant in poultry is the desperate overcrowding in modern poultry and egg farming and handling. I’ve actually lived in places where you didn’t have to treat raw chicken like toxic waste and it was quite refreshing.

I actually find it quite helpful as in everybody does their part.

My dogs eat it on occasion. Mostly with my Conure though. My Amazon will go to his perch to go potty and the dogs know to stay away from the paper that’s on the floor. My Conure goes to the bathroom more often and will have ‘accidents’ on me, near me, or when she’s flying. Unless I have the paper towel right beside me, one of the dogs will usually get to the dropping before I do. It’s not something I encourage because I’d rather properly clean the area, and I really don’t like the idea of my dogs eating poop of any kind!

My dogs seem to love it. My lab goes so far that she tries to stick her tongue through the bars to get to the poops in the cage. No matter how often I correct her, she will continue to try every now and then.

Kim S wrote:My dogs seem to love it. My lab goes so far that she tries to stick her tongue through the bars to get to the poops in the cage. No matter how often I correct her, she will continue to try every now and then. sounds familiar!!

ah well, come to think of it, he has eaten much more disgusting things…man I hope he never figures out the tongue-through-the-cage thing