False DNA 'certificate'

hi thereI quite recently bought my first senegal parrot which I love dearly. I had wanted a male parrot because I had heard that birds can bond better if the opposite sex. I asked that the breeder DNA test the bird before I bought it which I paid for. On receiving the bird I was told it was in fact a male and was told that the certificate would follow. the certificate is a laminated peice of paper with his ankle ring on number, month born and sex. only problem isI took him for another DNA test as he was ‘dancing’ for my dad and boyfriend, turns out ‘he’ is a she. is there anything that I can do about this? and if I was to buy another senegal which was male, would they be ok in the same cage together? thanks

Don’t put two Senegal Parrots in the same cage together. They are extremely territorial and can potentially hurt/kill each other. It has happened in the past, so it cannot be recommended.What’s the big deal that yours is a female? No need to buy another. Male vs. Female parrots are 95% the same. The differences are subtle that are difficult to notice. If you think you can’t get along with the parrot just because the DNA certificate turned out wrong and it is the same sex, you have much bigger issues. I have a female Senegal Parrot and a male Cape Parrot. They both get along with me regardless of sex.

I am under the impression that the “birds bond to opposite sex” idea is unfounded. I think they probably realize male and female humans are different, but I doubt they realize which is which… we don’t have the same “landmarks” as birds, so why would they know? I do think some birds develop a learned gender preference, as do other animals, based on treatment received from one or more representatives of that gender. For example, Scotty is quite wary of my husband reaching behind his neck where he doesn’t mind at all when I do this. We witnessed the male store owner unceremoniously grab him that way to do a very brusque claw and wing trim – not abusive, but rather more forceful than necessary. We suspect he connects males with the expectation of that kind of treatment.If you got a male and housed it with the female, most likely either they would not get along and somebody would get hurt, or they would get along and bond as a mated pair, likely losing all interest in you. Either way… you lose… IMO.I suggest you work with the bird you have… don’t change your expectations based on sex. For many years, parrot owners rarely knew if their birds were male or female anyway.

i think the issue here is that she paid for a DNA sexed male and got a female.so was the DNA a bogus pc of paper that she got charged for? she loves her bird but feels she got ripped off DNA wise. i would take it up with the person she bought it from and find out what can be done about it. if you pay for a DNA test, you should expect it to be acurate.yes the females are just as much fun as the males and look almost identical, so the would be no real reason to get another just to have a male.

If the DNA Certificate was fake I would take it up with the breeder. The DNA Certificates we issue are directly from DNA Solutions in Australia, so it would be very easy for buyers to not only confirm the cost of DNA sexing, but also the validity of the Certificate.Mind you I don’t think the sex is going to make much deference other than the possibility of this bird laying eggs, but I do understand your frustration and I personally wouldn’t let it go. As specially if you paid for the service of DNA sexing.

Well, most everone has addressed the male /female as a pet and pros and cons of another bird, however you paid for something and didn’t get it. First i would check your band # and make sure it’s the same as the cert. from the breeder. Next give the Breeder name and band# to the DNA 'lab listed on the cert. they should have the results on file. If the breeder made an hoest mistake show some latitude in your dealings with them.Is your band a ring (closed band) or an open band? Rings are put on very young birds(approx. 10 days)and usually are pretty relible if matched to the DNA cert., Open bands can be placrd at any time and can be changed, I hate to think that your breeder could knowingly cheat you and i think an honest mistake is more likely, in any case do your homework before talking to the breeder, Most breeders rely on "word of mouth"as a large part of their buisness and don’t want disatified customers. Let’s know how it works out.Richard

I do agree that there is a real grievance with the breeder/seller here, and I didn’t mean to downplay that. I’d have been POd, too, under the circumstances. I just don’t know what kind of recompense would make sense…