First time putting flight harness around neck

mya is ready to put the neck part of the harness on,but i want to see how other birds reacted the first time so maybe i can be better prepared for what she’ll do.i’m very nervous about anything going around her neck. she tried to put her head through during training yesterday but i backed off.

Ollie was fine with it, it was the later stages he didn’t like. What I did was make a bigger loop with another part of the harness and gradually decreased it in size until it was the same size as the collar part of the harness.Good luck and let us know how you get on.

thank you marie, i started with the body loop making it smaller as she got more comfortable then the last 2 days i used the neck part just past her eyes.yesterday she tried to put her head all the way through i just got nervous.

so it went over her head today, she freaked when i went to take it off but she did not fly away with it around her neck like i feared.she did beak me but i just cuddled with her and when she calmed we got it off.hope it goes easier next time.

pennyandrocky wrote:so it went over her head today, she freaked when i went to take it off but she did not fly away with it around her neck like i feared.she did beak me but i just cuddled with her and when she calmed we got it off.hope it goes easier next time.Keep at it!I really hope it works out for you. We got as far as to get the harness completely on, but at that point Stitch freaked out. Sometimes we had enough time to actually do something fun with the harness on, but after an incident where he completely freaked out, he’s refused to even look at the harness. After months of that, it has led to us sort of giving up, but I am thinking about giving it another go though.

i’m going to give her a break tomorow,unless she asks for training which she has done by eyeing the almonds then the harness while she’s on my lap.she almost went back to her old plucking habit which has been over for months. i just cuddled and pet her til she stopped.she used to yank on feathers with her foot when stressed she put her foot up like she was going to grab then looked at me and decided against.

Jake flipped out too and he screamed so much i stopped trying. bad me! i may try again.