Forum back online?

Is the forum back online?Hope everything is well with you Michael, and that Sandy didnt affect you too much (if thats possible given the nature of the storm and damage).

Finally back online! Thanks for everyone’s patience. Everything here was fine but our service provider was out for over a week because of flooding and power outages in lower Manhattan. Many pets were left behind, lost, or stranded as the result of the hurricane and our thoughts are with them.

glad to see the forum again! I hope you, Kili and Truman are all ok over there!

Yup, we’re doing fine. You can check out photos from the trip we took to get away from the storm on the trainedparrot facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.464282446944297.101859.151073061598572&type=1

Michael wrote:Finally back online! Many pets were left behind, lost, or stranded as the result of the hurricane and our thoughts are with them.That’s really upsetting, who could leave their pet behind? I would never, ever leave an area without my Tiki, no matter what. At least there’s a lot of efforts going on to help pets affected by Sandy, like No Pet Left Behind.

GreenWing wrote:Michael wrote:Finally back online! Many pets were left behind, lost, or stranded as the result of the hurricane and our thoughts are with them.That’s really upsetting, who could leave their pet behind? I would never, ever leave an area without my Tiki, no matter what. At least there’s a lot of efforts going on to help pets, like the No Pet Left Behind.I know, I dont get how people can do that. My pets are my family. If I couldn’t take them with me I would stay put to look after them even if it put my own life at risk, obviously that would be a last resort though. Is the no pet left behind a charity?

BTW, this is a good reason for everyone to make sure that:A) You have a suitable pet carrier for every parrot (or pet) in your householdB) These are prepped, ready to go, and accessibleC) You have a travel kit made up beforehand with required supplies and foodD) Your parrot is carrier trained BEFORE you need to get it into the carrier in a hurryStop putting off getting your parrot carrier trained. Do it now or when trouble hits you won’t be prepared!

marie83 wrote:I know, I dont get how people can do that. My pets are my family. If I couldn’t take them with me I would stay put to look after them even if it put my own life at risk, obviously that would be a last resort though. Is the no pet left behind a charity?^^This.Well said, I agree. Leaving Tiki behind to face a storm is the unthinkable. Not happening.There is a charity called No Pet Left Behind, but I confused it with the news articles helping pets affected by Sandy. Derp. See the article here for info to help out… I will gladly make a donation.Michael wrote:BTW, this is a good reason for everyone to make sure that:A) You have a suitable pet carrier for every parrot (or pet) in your householdB) These are prepped, ready to go, and accessibleC) You have a travel kit made up beforehand with required supplies and foodD) Your parrot is carrier trained BEFORE you need to get it into the carrier in a hurryStop putting off getting your parrot carrier trained. Do it now or when trouble hits you won’t be prepared!

http://www.examiner.com/article/after-hurricane-sandy-thousands-of-pets-homeless-need-help

Completely agree Michael, even in low risk areas its always a good idea, we dont get any really severe storms or earthquakes etc but theres always a chance of fire, nearby explosions and probably other things I haven’t considered. Very low chances but I still always have their travel carriers ready, a small sealed pot of food and bottled water ready to grab if need be. It has reminded me that I need to put together some stuff for bunny. When your not faced with things like this reguarly it does slip to the back of your mind. It also needs to be remembered that the stuff you put to once side needs to be rotated, no good having a container of food if by the time you need it it has spoiled.Ill have a look at the links on the article, is there any of the charities that are more recommended than the others? Hopefully some sort of online donation system too because the texting will cost me a fortune from the UK which I wouldn’t mind but the majority goes to the phone companies not the charity I think.

It is good to have you all back. I missed you.I have an emergency evacuation plan and hope I never have to use it. We moved here because of the weather. If you look at a weather chart check out the Piedmont Triad. The triangle of Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point. We always have the safest weather.