Galileo showed me a threatening display

So…today I was cleaning Gal’s cage. She likes to play with crumpled balls of paper and various crinkly toys while I am doing this, and she was enjoying herself. Anyway I finished cleaning it and set it up, and it was time to put her away for the night. I spent some time petting her and talking to her, gave her a grape, and then put her away. She immediately went to the bottom of her cage to play with her new clean paper. I decided to play with her, and kind of pulled the tray a little so she had to chase the paper. She did NOT like that. She made a warning noise, held her wings up slightly, and did a slow side-to-side threatening “WHAT THE HECK DID YOU JUST DOOOO?!” dance. Her eyes went all crazy and pinned…I left her alone and covered her for the night. I will neeeeever try that again, I am assuming me moving the tray must have either scared her or pissed her off or both. But I am really worried she will still hate me come morning. Any advice??? I don’t want her to look at me all crazy like that… It was kind of freaky, with the slow side-to-side thing and an almost taunting “ha ha ha” sound… Maybe Gal’s possessed…

Just a thought. Is this her first night in her new cage? If so, that might explain her reaction to your action. I would not be concerned, behave tomorrow as though it hadn’t occurred. I think I would leave the cage alone for a few days while she is establishing it as her new room.

GooseBlossom wrote:Just a thought. Is this her first night in her new cage? If so, that might explain her reaction to your action. I would not be concerned, behave tomorrow as though it hadn’t occurred. I think I would leave the cage alone for a few days while she is establishing it as her new room.Unfortunately I haven’t set up her new cage just yet, but I DID add some new stuff to her old one for the time being. Maybe it confused her? Either way I think you’re right. Tomorrow I will just pretend like it never happened and see how things go!

Scarlet gives me one of those at least twice a day She’s just being sassy, if you don’t hold a grudge I’m sure she wont remember it—er, until you pull that crap again!

ptuga72 wrote:Scarlet gives me one of those at least twice a day She’s just being sassy, if you don’t hold a grudge I’m sure she wont remember it—er, until you pull that crap again!Galileo, being sassy?! Never!!! Good to know. Thank you!!! She may have been grumpy about being put away, too. Crazy little thing.

Ha! Reminds me of my little foster Caique. He would get so pissed at me if I made him do something he didn’t want to or would grab onto something as tight as he could and scream his fool head off if I tried to make him step up. Nice thing is, he never held a grudge. Even if I forced him to step up during one of his tantrums, he would stop screaming and fighting immediately and act as if nothing happened. I’m sure Gal won’t hold a grudge against you. The tray moving probably just startled her.

I’m telling ya, Gal is plotting your demise

ptuga72 wrote:I’m telling ya, Gal is plotting your demise Her and Cloud AND Archimedes, right???

pchela wrote:Ha! Reminds me of my little foster Caique. He would get so pissed at me if I made him do something he didn’t want to or would grab onto something as tight as he could and scream his fool head off if I tried to make him step up. Nice thing is, he never held a grudge. Even if I forced him to step up during one of his tantrums, he would stop screaming and fighting immediately and act as if nothing happened. I’m sure Gal won’t hold a grudge against you. The tray moving probably just startled her.BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! It must be a caique thing!!! Oh I want another caique…so many birds…I would have…if I could. But I think 3 is good for now, it is so hard to squeeze in enough time for everyone right now but I am doing OK I think. Cloud isn’t getting trained at all, but he just likes to cuddle so… We can work on that later. Gal on the other hand I wonder if she is EVER going to learn anything but step-up (which she does when she feels like) turn-around (which she ALSO does when she feels like) and she did wave like ONCE and now won’t do it and looks at me like I am the biggest idiot to have ever walked the earth. Is it just me, or are caiques just trick-resistent???

Galileo is fine today!!! She was just being sassy. Or was temporarily startled. Yay!