Getting a conure registered as Therapy Animal

Hello,I have a very sweet, gentle, quiet green cheek conure. I’m interested in getting him registered as a therapy animal to bring to nursing homes to socialize with the lovely, lonely old people. I live in the United States and have no idea what steps are involved to do such a thing. I’m wondering if anyone here knows. I tried to do a google search on it but I didn’t come up with much.

I don’t know if this will help or not, but let me know as I can look into this in more depth.

Wolf wrote:I don’t know if this will help or not, but let me know as I can look into this in more depth.If what will help? Was there supposed to be a link? I don’t think it went through. :open_mouth:

How wonderful that would be. Dogs and cats have been doing it for years. Most people have not had contact with a bird before. I know that I was amazed at little birds when I made first contact. Not only would it be comforting but just think about the enrichment for people who are confined within walls.

Sorry. Yes there was supposed to be a link, apparently it either didn’t take or I didn’t post it.http://www.hpm.umn.edu/nhregsplus/NH%20 … AL_rak.pdfLet’s see if it works better this time.

http://www.hpm.umn.edu/nhregsplus/NH%20Regs%20by%20Topic/NH%20Regs%20Topic%20Pdfs/QL%20-%20Pets/category_pets_and_animal_therapy_FINAL_rak.pdf

Thank you for that link. Missouri, however, had no information posted. Maybe that means they are very open. I’ll try calling a nursing home and see if they know of any regulations.

Since I didn’t know which state to begin looking for information for, I figured that the link I gave might be a good place to begin. I am not surprised that there is not much to go on for Missouri, I used to live n the state, mostly either I Springfield or in the Lake of the Ozarks/ Bagnell Dam areas, along with several years down in and around Mansfield. Actually love that state quite a lot. Where are you located, if I may ask?

Wolf wrote:Since I didn’t know which state to begin looking for information for, I figured that the link I gave might be a good place to begin. I am not surprised that there is not much to go on for Missouri, I used to live n the state, mostly either I Springfield or in the Lake of the Ozarks/ Bagnell Dam areas, along with several years down in and around Mansfield. Actually love that state quite a lot. Where are you located, if I may ask?I live in Springfield. LOL!

That is such a beautiful & wonderful idea!

faeclarinet wrote:Hello,I have a very sweet, gentle, quiet green cheek conure. I’m interested in getting him registered as a therapy animal to bring to nursing homes to socialize with the lovely, lonely old people. I live in the United States and have no idea what steps are involved to do such a thing. I’m wondering if anyone here knows. I tried to do a google search on it but I didn’t come up with much.I tried to PM you but the system was a bit wonky! PLEASE do let me know how this all goes - I’m interested in making my own little baby IRN my personal “grounder” bird for my bad depression and anxiety. Please do let me know how this goes!Also, if it’s of any use, I can give you some very scattered info on the subject too!