Green Cheek Conure or Senegal Parrot?

This will be my first parrot, (I’ve owned smaller birds in the past) and I was wondering if anyone could help me out? It’ll probably be a couple years before I get enough money to keep it, so at the moment I’m just researching. I’m 16 right now, done with high school, have a job, and not planning on going to college, unless I can stay at home. Right now I have maybe 2-3 hours to spend with my theoretical parrot, but probably will have more time in the future.I’d like a bird that is cuddly, (that’s kind of important!) and relatively quiet. Meaning, not too screechy. Talking is optional. I kind of want a good buddy bird, the kind that’s ok with riding around the house on your shoulder while you work. I’d like to teach it tricks. I don’t want a boring couch potato bird, but at the same time, I don’t want an overly hyper-active bird. A bird that is friendly to everyone would be good.And…that’s all I can think of at the moment. I know, it’s kind of idealistic. And I do realize that personality depends a lot on the individual bird. So, what do you think? Would a Senegal or a Green Cheek Conure be good? Or should I go with a Pionus? Or is there another breed I don’t know about that you would recommend? What are the pros and cons of each of these birds?Thank you in advance! I’ll be thinking about it and hopefully in a year or two I’ll have already decided.

JoyBird wrote:I’d like a bird that is cuddly, (that’s kind of important!) and relatively quiet. Meaning, not too screechy. Talking is optional. I kind of want a good buddy bird, the kind that’s ok with riding around the house on your shoulder while you work. I’d like to teach it tricks. I don’t want a boring couch potato bird, but at the same time, I don’t want an overly hyper-active bird. A bird that is friendly to everyone would be good.Sounds like a Cockatiel

A Cockatiel or a Brownheaded, I think… Many of the smaller Pois including the Senegal are mostly good for being independent and quiet, yet playful and cuddly. The small Pois (Senegal included) all have generally similar temperaments, but each species has its own little quirk that may interest you.Check this out on the various Poicephalus parrots (Senegals, Meyer’s, Red Bellied’s, Brownhead’s,etc)

Lineolated parakeet is always my recommendation for people with that kind of idealized requirements of parrots. I don’t think GCC would fit your description as they are very active and can be nippy. However, I think that you should go to college.

Ooops, I forgot to post the actual link I wanted to share with you.http://africanqueenaviaries.com/african … erview.htm

http://africanqueenaviaries.com/africanparrotsoverview.htm

Hey, thanks everyone! I’m kind of leaning toward the GCC, but I’ll have to actually see and play with one to be sure. The Brownheaded sounds pretty cool, I’ve never heard of one of those before. Hmmmm…Cage Cleaner: I actually almost put lineolated parakeets in my post as an option, but I haven’t done any research on them. I’ll go do that now. Oh and, I might go to college, but it won’t involve moving anywhere. I am also considering a cockatiel, but I’m worried about the dust. Aaah! So many choices!

It’s awesome that you are planning this so meticulously, having a parrot is ALOT of work yet so rewarding. You mentioned a pionus in your post, I have a white-capped pionus which I adopted and he’s amazing. He’s only screechy at feeding time, and he’s a snuggly sweetie. He’s actually the laziest bird I’ve ever had, completely content sitting on me for hours. He’s not invasive or demanding, he never gets into to things. I’m pretty sure all pionus parrots have similar reputations, but I could be wrong. Good luck on your birdie adventure!

songbird280 wrote:I’m pretty sure all pionus parrots have similar reputations, but I could be wrong. Good luck on your birdie adventure!No you’re right, the pionus species are known to be calm birds =)!

Michael wrote:Sounds like a Cockatiel Yes! They’re not great talkers, but the boys can learn a little and they are really good at whistling songs. They love getting head scratches and just being with you. My best friend has a cockatiel and one thing he loves to do is just sit on your shoulder while you check your email or do the dishes. They don’t trick train him, but he’s very smart and I wish they would trick train him because he’s such a ham and loves to show off his awesomeness! They got him as a baby from a breeder and he is such a sweetie! The first time I met him, he was still pretty young and he hopped right up onto my finger and begged for some loving.

I don’t recommend GCCs as the first parrot for anyone, despite the fact that they commonly become that. However, I think this is more due to their size (and consequently noise) than their actually behavior. Personally, I find GCCs to be the pitbulls of the parrot world (this was the term my breeder used, actually). Not big, but super fierce, insistent, and stubborn when they want to be. Get the Senegal.