Here's Winnie My Mynah & BeBe My GCC

I found Winnie as a baby at the front of my house on the ground and her parents were above her on a telephone wire. When I brought her in the house the parents flew around for 2 days yelling for her.I hand fed her for 3 months, now she’s 4 years old. Let me tell you I was one very happy person to be done with hand feeding her. Mynah birds don’t have crops and you can feed them as much as they ask for, so it was like feeding typically ever 2 hours for 3 months, good thing I was always home…She’s not a cuddly bird, but if I put her in a small room with me, or take her outside I can get her to let me pet her. She seems to be a ham for attention, the Common Mynahs where I live are all over the place walking around in flocks so they are quite soical. When she was younger she use to always walk around following me everywhere I went, now she typically likes to hang out in the window staring outside yacking at the other mynahs outside and many times they will fly over to her, hanging on the screen window, both yelling back and forth. But a lot of times, today especially she got out of the window and just cruised all over the house, these birds really like walking around and with those big feet they are certainly walkers.Even when I let Winnie have her wings and fly she didn’t run off, she flew off a little, but then just sat on the ground letting me come over and pick her up and go back inside, this made me realize she wasn’t so wild, so I kept her and never let her go.She’s quite the city girl now, jumping around all crazy when you put her on grass or dirt, shaking her feet and going nutts in disgust, acting like she’s getting her feet dirty, I tell you this bird is silly, shes doesn’t want to walk around outside.Also she’s really crazy about keeping clean, if she has a pop hanging off her butt, she goes crazy starring at it between her legs jumping and running all over the house in a mad frenzy trying to get it off.I think Winnie is like special ed when it comes to keeping clean, LOL…Winnie talks a lot too, she even tells you night night when she’s ready for bed, so I realized she not only talks but seems to understand some of it and says it when she wants something…Here’s a YouTube video I just put up and more coming later…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exIZClcp … e=youtu.beCHEERSP.S. After posting this I should of made this for both birds, so here’s a youtube channel I put up for them both;http://www.youtube.com/user/rattyratties?feature=mheeNot much to say about BeBe, she came from a local pet shop. Hey, you can even get a good bird from the pet shop and they also gave me a Hatch Certificate by my request, which shows the local breeder…I’ll be posting more videos as I teach BeBe more tricks!

Im so glad you shared your story [I always wondered what they were like].You dont see any where I live. Cute how she puffs up She was getting into it by the end of the video.

They always puff up when they talk, I guess it takes them some energy is why hehe…I just shot this video, finally had her cruising around on the floor, so I was able to get her to play with a qtip;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T81aZ9a … e=youtu.beBe sure to read the Description, Winnie and that butt of her’s, she’s funny…P.S. I’m uploading an older video from 2009 of Winnie playing for 2 minutes non-stop with a toothpick, this is how she was when she was younger, always playing with a toothpick, she really love that thing… Soon as it’s complete I’ll post the link…

Oh yay a video! What a cutie.

Here’s Winnie when she was like 4-6 months old;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P22n8Kpt … e=youtu.be

Winnie is adorable and seems very happy.When I find a baby bird I try to find the parent. If I don’t find the parent by night fall I bring it in and feed it. The next day I set it out in a small cage where it is safe. If it’s kind start coming in I open the door to see if they will take it. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. If it is a don’t then I care for it. When it grows up and I see a flock of it’s kind I open a window and put it in the sill. The last one was a dove and the parents came for it. The one before that was a starling named Friskies because I took it from the cat. I hand fed him until he was flighted. He would go out an socialize with the other starlings (and they all fed him) but come back in at nightfall when they flew away. He eventually went with them but when the flock comes back he comes to that window.Though you love and care for Winnie she is still wild caught.

Can I ask why you chose to take a baby bird that was obviously being looked after by its parents out of the wild?I’m sure you love and look after it but I hope you wouldn’t do it again or encourage anyone else to do so.

marie83 wrote:Can I ask why you chose to take a baby bird that was obviously being looked after by its parents out of the wild?I’m sure you love and look after it but I hope you wouldn’t do it again or encourage anyone else to do so.I was wondering the same thing. It doesnt seem right to take a bird from its parents and try and make it your own pet. Oh well, whats done is done. I hope you take good care of it, Mynahs are awesome!

laducockatiel wrote:marie83 wrote:Can I ask why you chose to take a baby bird that was obviously being looked after by its parents out of the wild?I’m sure you love and look after it but I hope you wouldn’t do it again or encourage anyone else to do so.I was wondering the same thing. It doesnt seem right to take a bird from its parents and try and make it your own pet. Oh well, whats done is done. I hope you take good care of it, Mynahs are awesome!Sounds like she was taken in to save her from neighborhood cats, dogs or hawks that would have killed her if she was helpless on the ground. She was probably learning how to fly and fell and couldn’t fly back to her nest. It’s much better to save her than to let her be mauled by a cat or dog or taken away by a hawk. She looks like a great bird!

She’s adorable, a beautiful bird. And her speaking voice is lovely and clear.