How do cats and birds mix in a house?

Obviously we see the tweety and selvester cartoons. But I really want a perspective on how cats and parrots react to each other. I did see a video on youtube where all the budgies were on the curtain railing and the cat was just staring at them, didn’t try getting them just staring.I ask this because I’m having pet issues. I really want a cat but I have a bird/want another as well. The cat that I want is also a bit agressive-like [Extreme to feathers]. It is a Savannah (half domestic American half african several). It is about $1,000 and the parrot that I want (sun conure) is around $500 (where I live, which I believe is quite expensive)Also as a general question. Would you spend $1,000 on a parrot or a cat?its really hard for me to choose but if I get a clear response that they no where near bond I will stick to birds until my later years.And no, I am not into dogs. (Not that I don’t like them, its that I just don’t feel ready as an owner.)

I would spend it on a parrot. Cats never really appealed to me, probably because the only time I saw them was when they were sleeping or clawing me. I always liked a pet that had lots of energy. The budgies came into the picture one day and I fell in love.

house cats and parrots get along fine as long as bird has flight and the cat is raised with them.i would spend 1,000 on parrot they live longer,and my parrots cuddle more.

you have a remark on a bird being expensive at 500 (I might actually agree with you there). However, personally I would never spend 1.000 on a cat. We have a few outdoor cats, well their outdoors, restricted to some areas indoor and to the stables… and to be honest they are let into the house to cuddle up at nights when I have made sure the door to the room where birds are kept are closed. considering the number of rodants and birds they come dragging onto the steps I wouldnt trust them inside the house unless I know they cant get anywhere close to my birds. But then again, ive never been interested in getting any particular breed of cats so the cats i keep is cats that has basicly been dropped off here without letting me know (2 of them actually came here this way, found em in a cardboardbox outside the stable, and i think they were to small to be separated from their mother, but their sweet as can be now) The third cat I actually bought about 8 years ago, but wasnt for a grand… so my oppinion I’d rather spend a 1000 on a bird than a cat, birds have more personality (in my oppinion) and they live longer so you spend less $ / year of companionship, if you want to look at it that way.As for not feeling ready to own a dog, well might be me that is nuts but the birds occupy more of my time than anyone i know who has dogs tim gets occupied, even when my lil dog was still alive this much time wasn’t devoted directly on him. however he was always along side me with me working etc and went Everywhere with me, except the bathroom. but yeah a dog will take more of your time so you would have to devide it up more between birds and the dog. but a dog can get “quality time” by going with you outside while your painting the fences or whatever and you throw a ball and he brings it back etc. and you actually get some work done at the same time…

CrazzMc wrote:Obviously we see the tweety and selvester cartoons. But I really want a perspective on how cats and parrots react to each other. I did see a video on youtube where all the budgies were on the curtain railing and the cat was just staring at them, didn’t try getting them just staring.I ask this because I’m having pet issues. I really want a cat but I have a bird/want another as well. The cat that I want is also a bit agressive-like [Extreme to feathers]. It is a Savannah (half domestic American half african several). It is about $1,000 and the parrot that I want (sun conure) is around $500 (where I live, which I believe is quite expensive)Also as a general question. Would you spend $1,000 on a parrot or a cat?its really hard for me to choose but if I get a clear response that they no where near bond I will stick to birds until my later years.And no, I am not into dogs. (Not that I don’t like them, its that I just don’t feel ready as an owner.)The bigger the animal the younger it should be when added to the pack. I would never buy a cat or dog. The shelters are full of them and there are still many on the street. All but the boxers in the back yard are foundlings (as in they found us).Rambo taught them all that he was in charge. Now it is easier for Myrtle. My cats get along with my birds but I wouldn’t trust my daughter’s cats around the tiels.The cat you are talking about is a new breed and not yet understood. I would not take a chance on it.If you really need a cat, get a mixed breed shelter kitten.

With a savannah cat, you must realize that there ARE wild animal genes in there that make them exceptionally prey driven. Even if you got one that seemed *calm" enough to keep around small animals, I never would really trust it. Cats in general can be hit or miss regarding temperament and prey drive, but mix in some african serval genetics in there and you’re risking potentially losing any small animal you have in your house.With extreme caution you could possibly pull off having a savanna and a parrot in the same house, but you would likely want to keep them separate at all times, and I’ve seen some house-cats harass a bird with incredible determination, so you may even be forced to keep the bird in a separate room.You also need to check the laws in your region regarding Savanna cats. many states require it be at least a 3rd or 4th generation domestic bred one, at which point they start looking like normal tiger cats anyway.I would say, if you just wanted “a cat” and didn’t have your heart set on a savanna, you could probably go to the local shelter/rescue and adopt a wonderfully lazy and cuddly tabby or tiger striped cat who’d be docile enough to keep in a house with a bird.

kittyhazelton wrote:With a savannah cat, you must realize that there ARE wild animal genes in there that make them exceptionally prey driven. Even if you got one that seemed *calm" enough to keep around small animals, I never would really trust it. Cats in general can be hit or miss regarding temperament and prey drive, but mix in some african serval genetics in there and you’re risking potentially losing any small animal you have in your house.With extreme caution you could possibly pull off having a savanna and a parrot in the same house, but you would likely want to keep them separate at all times, and I’ve seen some house-cats harass a bird with incredible determination, so you may even be forced to keep the bird in a separate room.You also need to check the laws in your region regarding Savanna cats. many states require it be at least a 3rd or 4th generation domestic bred one, at which point they start looking like normal tiger cats anyway.I would say, if you just wanted “a cat” and didn’t have your heart set on a savanna, you could probably go to the local shelter/rescue and adopt a wonderfully lazy and cuddly tabby or tiger striped cat who’d be docile enough to keep in a house with a bird.Yea since they are a half breed of a Several they are quite ‘wild’. I was actually looking at wildtafari.com they have F5’s for around a grand or so. They are usually about a month old when they are out for adoption. If I do get a cat it would be a small kitty. But now that you mention it, I think i will wait or re-think. I don’t want a bird and a Savannah in the same house.Thanks for all the input guys!Much appreciated

No problem with cats and Parrot. I have 4 cats that I have had for years and I aquired a Amazon Parrot 2 years ago. Molly my Parrot wanders the house freely and my 4 cats ignore her. I also have a 3 year old Yorkie who pretty much ignores Molly also. I would just be watchful. Julie California

If I was you (if you decided to get a cat), I would keep the parrots in one room and never let the cat there. Maybe, if you want, you can let the cat there supervised.

I would never, ever, EVER have a cat and a bird at the same time. The cat we have now is such a fierce hunter that he has cured me of any romantic notions of different species being friends. For example, he sits on the railing of our porch at night and catches bats out of the air as they fly by (FEET above his head)!! He has also brought home dead rabbits, goslings, weasels, water rats (which are the size of a large cat around here), squirrels, ermines, small ducks, blue jays, and other woodland birds…After seeing all that, I will never trust any cat around birds, rodents or other small pets.Here is a link to an article I found about having parrots and other pets:Parrots with other family petsSome people may say their homes are a haven of inter-species friendships between predators and prey, but I say that they are really treading on thin ice and tragedy can strike at any moment.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/allowing-the-parrots-to-play-with-the-other-family-pets/