How do you stop a parrot sitting where he shouldnt?

Ok I can’t take it anymore, patience running low, so Ill resort to the forum hehehe.Please please please if anyone has any ideas how to stop a parrot from flying onto certain perch-like surfaces and taking over them. Lorenzo is addicted to sitting on my tv screen. or my laptop screen. if it was just sitting it would be fine but he poops everywhere. the tv mostly, everytime i walk out for a second and come back hell be chilling out ontop of it like its a tree and made for him. of course the speakers below have poop in them and behind the screen…ehhh i guess its all gonna drop in somehow. plus hell take a grape, fly to the screen and sit ontop to eat it and wipe his beak all over it after.laptop screen not so bad as im usually behind it so i chase him back to his cage, he knows exactly that he shouldnt but it gets my attention…hell just fly back to the laptop and starting chewing it or sliding down the screen blocking my view lol… and then ill put him back on the cage, 2 seconds later hell fly back. and this goes on until i either lock him in the cage or one of us gives up. im worried about the internal damage to the tv because it belongs to the landlord and is brand new lol. i wipe it all the time and you cant really tell from the outside after cleaning but as i said alot has gone through the speakers and behind into the airvents.please help if you can its doing my head in.Thanks

Hopefully, my reply will be at least a bit more relevant than the previous spam…I don’t really have this problem since neither bird is flying (although we are considering letting Scotty’s flights grow out and see how it goes). But, I think you really can’t teach them not to sit in a certain place just because they are supposed to. If it is inherently rewarding to be there, they will go there. So I think you can either try to make the surface inhospitable by making it uncomfortable with a sticky strip or setting wire brushes along the edge or something like that – or you can try to train him to STAY somewhere else by making that place rewarding. In desperation it might also be possible to adapt some of the things used for cats, such as a bottle of air that goes off when it is approached, making a hissing noise, but I’d be afraid it might be a bit too much for a bird. With cats the “hand of god” approach of hiding behind a door and using a squirt gun is effective but I think a parrot would probably figure out it was you and not divine retribution pretty quickly. To protect the TV, you might want to drape some screeing or an open-weave piece of fabric over the back bits – something that will still allow air to flow, but will catch the poop. Otherwise you’ll be taking the cabinet apart to try to get it clean.

Thanks for your reply Entranced, always great advice from you Yea with the cats and dogs its always been easier, the elusive waterspray hehehe good times.then again loro doesnt like water sprays so i could try spray everytime he tries to fly to the tv. even though i cant while hes on it because id wet the tv…lol. Its the problem with flighted birds, i do somethimes wonder if theres more problems having them flighted then clipped. the constant clinginess to follow you when you take one step towards a door, flying on my head (noticed alot of people have this problem hehe), and this naughty business of perching anywhere they feel like it.must be a way still.Can you actually teach a bird to stay? didnt know that. before i get the chance to tell him to stay hes usually already on my head or back by then.too too fast and too too smart.I tried putting this branch over the tv, it was akwardly shaped and loro was a bit scared off by it so never went near. then all of a sudden he wasnt bothered anymore and would sit on it either way but it kept falling off. i think i need to tape down things around the vents of the tv like you said with with cloth or screening. usually if i go out quick ill put a little paper over the speakers but when he flys the paper just blows off. I dont think i could make his cage area any more rewarding. i just dont get what he gets out of the tv screen, behind it is a window perch for him which is so much more comfortable with snacks and toys haha.I wish i knew something he really didnt like or was scared off that i could put onto of the tv. just dont know what Otherwise you’ll be taking the cabinet apart to try to get it clean.thats what im worried about

Einstein always tries to sit on the laptop keyboard. I don’t really like it, because he tries to pick out the keys and it’s annoying when he is sitting on the letter you want to type.How does Lorenzo react to new and different things? Einstein is a very cautious bird, so whenever I take him out with the laptop open, I just place the phone at the back part of the keyboard. He then avoids going over there.

Hey Zaza, looks like you’re back from your vacation, hope you had a good time and great to see your comments again on the forum Thanks for the comment. Laptop keyboards less of a problem as the screen itself but if he sees my fingers typing really fast he will try climb around the keyboard and attack the letters too. always having to stick the letters back in hahaha.As for new items I know what you mean, so far if its a big funny looking thing he might be spooked at first but gets used to objects quite fast. I had a balloon bouncing around the room at night the other day and when he woke up in the morning and saw it on the floor (bright yellow balloon) he flipped out and started flying in circles and screaming. but a day later hes not bothered about it…

Got back home around 5am this morning. Slept through the entire plane ride, and when I got home I woke up Einstein, and he was very excited to see me. Full of kisses and cuddles. After that I went straight to bed. I actually think the budgies are happy to see me too. They began singing when I turned on the light. And this morning, they basically flew out of the cage to sit on my shoulder (which like, never happens).It’s great to be home. And I’m glad my birds were all taken care of. Our accountant even took pictures and sent them to us while on vacation.I saw a wide variety of animals while I was there. Lots of tropical birds who sang all day long. I got to hold two spider monkeys, and later I got to handle two hybrid macaws. I went up to them and said hola, and they screamed hola right back at me. I also got to see a pregnant female crocodile in one of the lagoons.I got to go zip lining through the jungle upside down, and then we went zip lining into one of the cenotes. We also got to go to the mayan ruins in Tulum, which are located on the beach. And the beach was filled with iguanas. The trip wasn’t all fun though. I was attacked when I was unlocking my hotel door one night. He pushed me into the room, and started going through my stuff. Somehow I managed to push him out of the room, and the front desk monitored my area of the hotel for the rest of my visit. Sorry for that little rant/story. I just felt like sharing

Hi Miss Pirate,Get some balloons that the clowns or magicians use to tie into characters and blow one or two up with air and tape it to where the bird will land. When those little nails or beak pops the balloon, the bird will relocate to where he should be. The noise won’t be too loud. Make sure you get all the pieces picked-up so the bird don’t play with them.pirategene and tambo

pirategene wrote: When those little nails or beak pops the balloon, the bird will relocate to where he should be. The noise won’t be too loud. Make sure you get all the pieces picked-up so the bird don’t play with them.pirategene and tambo Oh my word thats a brilliant idea! they do take most space if i tie them on the tv. it might even have a lasting impression on him that when the balloons arent there and he flys to the screen…the balloons will come back He has a window perch just behind so hope it wont bother him to go round to the perch and only be put off the tv. Really thats an excellent idea, im off to buy balloons tomorrow and ill keep you updated if it worked or not thanks so much!

zazanomore wrote:Got back home around 5am this morning. Slept through the entire plane ride, and when I got home I woke up Einstein, and he was very excited to see me. Full of kisses and cuddles. After that I went straight to bed. Sounds like you had a great trip, I wish i could go to that side of the world soon as well. The most wildlife i get is africa, my parents have a restaurant on a game reserve so I get to go hang out with the pet cheetahs they have and all the warthogs, monkeys and elephants roaming around in the morning past my window. Im gonna try film the go-away bird. that is like the coolest bird in the wild. ill post a video of what they do its hilarious and has entertained me for years.Im glad your birdies are all happy and that nobody has any issues against you. how did you cope away from them? my time is coming soon and im getting really paranoid already.Im gonna miss him so much. gone for 5 weeks from the 9th feb. Ziplining is awesome!lucky you, I love it, so much fun! zazanomore wrote:I was attacked when I was unlocking my hotel door one night. He pushed me into the room, and started going through my stuff. Somehow I managed to push him out of the room,wow thats quite scary. I hope he wasnt able to take anything and that you’re ok. Hearing so many of these stories about people on holiday now with locals breaking in. Hotels should really have better security. hope they looked after you afterwards and again im glad you managed to kick that twat out of there.

Zip lining upside down is the greatest thrill.Nothing was stolen, and I wasn’t hurt (Thank God).I’d love to see Africa. I’ll go there one day. Probably on a volunteer vacation.I’m saving up my money to go to Ecuador to work at an Animal Sanctuary in the Amazon.