How To “Will” Your Parrot & Train The Second Hand Owner?

Hi Birdie Peoplesssssszzzzzz ! I have a dilema and wanted to see if ya’ll could help me with suggesting the best way to do this! As we know, parrots will most likely out live us, as a healthy parrot lives 75 to 80 years. So to make sure I have something set up for that, just in case of anything, I would like to Will my parrot to someone who would become the second hand owner, and take care of him well, not give up on him or get tired of him, be committed to him, and love him as well. I want him to have a good life, and I don’t want him bounced around from home to home. The ideal situation would be for him to be placed permanently with a second hand owner. These are my wishes.I’d been thinking about Willing him to my best friend’s daughter, as she is next generation (she’s young), and we’d be training her along the way about parrots, their care, and routine care, etc., (nutrition, cage maintenance, and interaction). We’d started some training, and I’d also been working on typing up a book with instructions, etc. She also lives an hour away, too far to come visit me for consistant basis training on a regular basis (like maybe at least twice a month)… in working toward getting all this set up. Through the training, I want to know that the person is going to stay committed, etc, before I will feel confident in putting them in a Will to inherit Baby (Baby is my parrot’s name ). There are also issues there of sort of irresponsibility, (won’t go into that lol) so I just don’t feel this would be a good match for my baby. So then I’d started working with our Pastor’s wife (Co-Pastor) in our church, for her young daughter to be the “to-be” heir for Baby - because they are all caring and responsible, clean, and raise their child that way, and their child is “my heart” as I call her - lol … as she’d stolen my heart since day one . After the Co-Pastor working together with me - learning - … etc… on some of the training (she even broke down and washed the cage with me one day - what a sweetheart!) - she’d decided that based on what she’s learned and considering her future, her and Pastor will not be able to accept the responsibility of being added to my will/trust for this, to take Baby on. (The plan was if anything happened to me, she would take Baby and take care of him, and pass the training onto her daughter. She wanted to learn what was all involved first, then make a decision as to whether or not she thought this would be able to be done. As well, we discussed it could also be unknown what kind of busy lifestyle one would have in adulthood, like when her child grows up; and therefore, whether or not the time to take care of a bird would be available, etc.)It came across that she would really not be able to have or provide the kind of time needed. This is also extremely understandable, she is very, very busy, most of the time, being that she helps Pastor with the ministry, and has a family to take care of (a toddler, 2 years old, and a husband). She said she can not commit at this point. And that she could not determine if she would be able to do that several years from now.So this is totally understood, so I’m back to square one, trying to find a good candidate to work with for this. Learning through all this experience, trying to teach someone about bird care, I’ve also come to learn, as a “reiterate” - type of situation, that birds are not for everyone, and also that, one also has to have an interest, admiration, and seemingly a love that is growing for birds as they learn - would be very apparent.As we know, the love we get from our birds, and in understanding their loving and delicate nature, we feel that the little bit of time it takes is worth it, and also, of course, makes for a healthy bird, which is what we want. And we give our birds that time, and we make that time for our birds, even though sometimes it may be a bit of a squeeze, and we are committed. I know that I have to be careful in my selection.And also, being that I’m back to square one - what do you think is the best way to handle this? For example, with my best friend’s daughter, she’s only in elementray school as well, there is a very apparent interest, and a definate love for birds. And she would be trained up in the care of birds as she grows up into adulthood. And she loved to sing, and she loved singing to my bird. Well I sing my bird to sleep every night. My bird sings with me when I’m reviewing the music for church, he loves music, singing, etc. This would be kind of an ideal situation. And her mother was also very touched about her daughter potentially getting the parrot But when you’re working with someone young, there still is a chance that you don’t know what kind of lifestyle their going to have when they become an adult, etc. And if they get married and have children, will they have time to take care of a bird? Aren’t their parrot owners out there who have children as well? There was a lady who was working at the parrot shop, and once she had her baby, she gave her long-time parrot friend to her neighbor, because she said with the baby, she just didn’t have time to take care of the parrot anymore.So I guess it’s a chance you take. Like the best approach - wouldn’t it be to start with someone young like that, who lives close by, who can come for the training on a consistant basis, then once trained, and you feel confident that they would stick with the bird, you could name that person in your Will and draw up your Will?Please share… There is a kind of peace I will NOT have until I know my baby IS going to be able to be taken care of in this way, to have a person in place, trained, and named in a Will.Bird hugs from Baby and his Mommy

I think people can have parrots and children at the same time and it can work out wonderfully for all parties involved. I have seen it myself and the whole family gets along. Depending on the age of the children, the parents can either teach the kids how to interact with the bird or strictly keep the kid from doing anything with the bird (probably the best way to go about having toddlers and birds together). Ultimately, it is always the parent who needs to be responsible for taking care of the parrot. I think the problem with willing your bird to a kid is that they don’t know where their life is going. Also, a kid might be interested in birds now, but interests change (sometimes daily for some kids) and you may not be able to rely on that person to care for your bird properly in 5 or 10 years. Most colleges do not allow you to keep pets in the dorms. And then there are issues of finding an apartment that allows pets, getting a job with income you can rely on, etc. I think it is best find an adult in a stable position who is willing and able to take care of your bird.You could also call shelters to see if they know of responsible people who are willing to foster or adopt a bird in the event something happens to its owner. I don’t know how big the avian community is where you live, but perhaps someone from your local bird club or flying club would be willing to take in your bird someday.

Thank you for your suggestion in helping to process this. The reason why I was thinking next generation (start with younger) is because parrots outlive us, and adult generation, therefore, there’s always a chance they could pass away somewhere around the time we do, because they’re same generation. Know what I mean? As the parrots will outlive the adult generation now. My parrot is only 2 years old. I am 46. Healthy birds tend to live 75 to 80 years. What do you think?

Shelters may be another medium, and that may be used as a last resort. The only place as far as that I’ve heard about thus far is the Gabriel Foundation, but he would have to be shipped there, and Co-Pastor has agreed to be an emergency contact for me, and as well, within that, make sure my Parrot gets handed over to whoever I Will him to, and/or if that person could not be found, then she would take care of getting him shipped to that Foundation. They take great care of birds, and find good homes for them. But since shipping is stressful for birds, I would not want that for him, and that would be used as a last resort only. I believe they’re in Colorado.Shelters - see if they know of responsible people who are willing adopt a bird in the event something happens to its owner. Someone from local bird club would be willing to take in your bird someday. Will also check out Yahoo Groups…… I think there is also a bird group on there  I may be able to find someone through there too.What kind of shelters would I look at? All I really know about is the SPCA, and I think they only keep animals for two weeks, and if no one adopts them, they kill them So I’m not so sure they would be a good medium to find someone.

hi maria, this is a great topic that worries me.while i hope my son who is 6 will want my birds when i’m gone but i can’t count on that.when my grandmother died i was forced to take on her bluefronted amazon, i was only 16 and it was a huge responsability even though i grew to love him it was alot of work and limited where i could live,i couldn’t travel as much as i may have since no one could/would take care of him while i was away.it’s a huge commitment most adults don’t even realize.so if somthing happens before my son is old enough to make the choice or if he doesn’t want it my birds will go back to the place i adopted mya from i trust them to find someone to love and care for them as much as i do.

pennyandrocky wrote:So if somthing happens before my son is old enough to make the choice or if he doesn’t want it my birds will go back to the place i adopted mya from. I trust them to find someone to love and care for them as much as i do.Penny, thank you so much for contributing. This here you say is interesting. What kind of place did you adopt Mya from? Was it an animal shelter?There is the Gabriel Foundation Aviary and Adoption Center but they’re in Colorado, and, in just researching them, I’m finding out part of their procedure is a wait list also. I’m thinking this means that who ever would take care of making sure the bird gets there will need to temporarily take care of the bird until the bird comes up on the wait list. EEEEKKK! I don’t know, and I’m going to call them for more information for the situation.This is what it also says on their website:RELINQUISHING YOUR BIRDThe Gabriel Foundation has three programs for relinquishment - Adoption, Long Term Foster and Sanctuary. To begin the process we require completion of he Client Bird History and the Parrot Acquisition Contract. The demand for incoming birds is high and the wait list time will vary by species and circumstances. The completed Client Bird History and Parrot Acquisition Contract returned to the Relinquishment Coordinator will put your bird(s) on the waiting list. Once the paperwork is received, you will be contacted and given an estimate of when you might expect an opening in Quarantine. Quarantine opens to take in new birds approximately 4 times a year. Exceptions and special arrangements for emergency situations can be discussed directly with the Director of Relinquishments, Karen VanderHyde, she can be reached at (303)629-5900 ext. 216. I’m assuming the paper work would be something I can take care of getting filled out in advance, in finding out if they’ll work with me in case my bird needs to go there “upon my death”! I believe the Quarantine period is for to make sure the bird does not get other birds sick, and while they’re veteranarians are examining the bird to make sure it’s a healthy bird, won’t get the other birds sick. It does say exceptions and special arrangements for emergency situations can be discussed directly with the Director with the phone number of the director there. That’s one of the things I’m also definately going to do, is call, in the midst of my research, to see exactly how this would be handled. My bird is exceptionally healthy It also says that birds come to TGF for a variety of reasons such as family or financial hardship, human guardian’s illness or death, conflict with spouse or children, lack of human interest and/or time, moving/relocation, a bird’s incomparability with human’s expectations, a bird’s physical handicap, a bird’s chronic illness, rescue from animal cruelty, abandonment, lost bird, or request from a pet store, animal welfare organization, veterinarian and breeders to provide on-going care.I’ll need to find out as much as I can so I can make arrangements and decisions.Tell me about where and what kind of place you adopted your bird from? Maybe that may also gear my toward other similar types of places, local to where I am, that I can also research as viable options, seeing what’s out there. I would want a place who cares for them well, and finds them good homes, definately NOT a place which would bounce them around from place to place, or send them off to this and that place, etc., if you know what I mean.The Gabriel Foundation KNOWS About bird’s sensitive nervous and emotional systems, etc., how birds need and prefer routine, etc. They are really terrific. They are really REALLY up on bird knowledge and their needs. I am so happy to see that they take such care! Read their paragraph below about their adoption program. They’re not just your regular, like, animal shelter or something. They have a strict screening process through their adoption program! And they even make home inspections! They’re not just going to give a bird to any person! ADOPTION PROGRAM The Gabriel Foundation’s experienced staff members work intensively with individuals interested in adopting birds. The Foundation has established a structured screening and adoption process that begins with the Parrot Adoption Protocol. The Foundation initially requires applicants to complete an adoption application, proceed through a series of telephone and/or e-mail interviews and verifies the applicant’s references. If the Foundation’s adoption committee approves the applicant as an appropriate bird adopter, multiple site visits are encouraged for the potential adapter. So often people “look” for a bird of a particular species, when in the Foundation’s experience most birds will “choose” the person they prefer which contributes to the success of the match. For persons visiting from other states, a multi-day stay is recommended while the Foundation monitors and assesses the applicant’s interaction with birds and the staff has an opportunity to become familiar with the potential adapter. The bird’s housing, routine and care, personality, history and inclusion into the adopter’s home are discussed at great length. Depending upon the location of the potential adopter, the Foundation or its representative may conduct home inspections prior to and/or post adoption. The Foundation invests a tremendous amount of time and resources, pre-and post-adoption, to ensure to the best of its ability, the best fit between the adopter and adoptee bird, and most importantly, the bird’s future welfare. This is also very good, because some people just get birds in order to sell them, to make money!

hi maria, i adopted mya from lovemyparrots.i contacted her because my boyfriend bought me an amazon to replace the one i lost last year, he was 12 and hated me. she emailed me the same day.the bird my boyfriend bought me was supposed to go to her rescue to be socialized,she talked to me everyday to try to help me keep him,offered to come to my home to clip him thinking it would help. i do not believe in clipping so i told her i would have to surrender. she told me about mya,a ducorps/solomon cockatoo, told me to read everything i could find and take a couple of days to talk to my family. when i told her i liked what i read she gave the man who was fostering her my home number and i spoke to him every night for a week, then went to his home to spend half a day with her.then he brought mya to my home and took rocky,he has been adopted and i get pics and updates all the time. there are alot of bad rescues out there,what i would do is insist on referances from people who have adopted and visit the place to see how they treat the birds.lovemyparrots is in new york but i believe she has relationships with other rescues around the country and might know which ones are legit and which ones are not.

I turned 62 on the Feb 7th. Rambo is 20 and Myrtle is pushing 2. I have asked different people who know my birds if they would adopt them when I am gone. Many have said yes but I don’t trust the years in between. My son does not want them but he has a heart like mine. I have willed them to him and I keep him informed as to who have said they will adopt.When I am gone it will be his decision and I trust it.The thing is the theparrotforum people know them better than anyone. You have all heard their quirks. It would be nice if I had someone here that I can put on my list of possible. My son would travel to deliver them.No - Australia is too far even if you would want to birdnap Rambo.I have brought this up before and would like more input from others.

excellent idea liz! you guys know more about my birds than people in my family.just today my brother compared me to a crazy cat lady he said i’m the crazy bird lady.i love your rambo stories. plus my worst fear is someone will take their flight away it would be nice to know that will never happen.

I started a thread for "Rambo & Myrtle" for that reason. I have not taken time to post in it for a long time and these two have really been progressing. I hope to get back to it sort of like a biography.