Hypothetical situation

If a parrot were to be thrown out of a vehicle traveling at highway speeds, would it fly or would it fall? Some friends of mine started a debate about this so I thought I would ask you, the professionals… Keep in mind nobody is going to actually throw a parrot out of a car window, its just a strange question that came up over coffee one night. Thank you for your help.

You have very very strange friends.

zam6669 wrote:If a parrot were to be thrown out of a vehicle traveling at highway speeds, would it fly or would it fall? Some friends of mine started a debate about this so I thought I would ask you, the professionals… Keep in mind nobody is going to actually throw a parrot out of a car window, its just a strange question that came up over coffee one night. Thank you for your help.Its basic physics if the car is going 50mph then the parrot is going 50mph in general I don’t think a parrot can fly that fast, so with all the force going against it pushing it back and it would probably take a dip and fly in the same spot up and down until it gains control. It may fall if its a large parrot because it would need to flap faster… dont try it though

I am fairly sure the parrot would be killed. It would not be able to fly at all in the airstream going from virtually nothing to 50mph. It would be like hitting a wall for it, its air-resistance would make it crash down into the road. Would it try to flap its wings, I think they will be broken within a split second.Seriously, this is not even funny, FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, DONT EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS!Even if its just a wierd question.

Zam - I am also very happy that you don’t have a parrot.

zam6669 wrote:If a parrot were to be thrown out of a vehicle traveling at highway speeds, would it fly or would it fall?Parrots can fly on their own as it is. A far more interesting question is how long you would fly for if you were thrown out of a car…

A far more interesting question is how long you would fly for if you were thrown out of a car…

Munchy wrote:A far more interesting question is how long you would fly for if you were thrown out of a car… Me too

Guys, it’s just a thought exercise, calm down. According to my physics prof, that would be the same as blasting a bird with a 50mph air cannon, so no, it wouldn’t be able to fly.