I'm pretty fed up of

I’m pretty fed up of people just buying and keeping birds to “look good”. They just buy the bird, keep it well fed but when I gets I’ll, they don’t take it to a vet and it dies. Them this whole process happens again. I really don’t know why people can buy a bird, or any other animal for that matter, and just let it die because “they can get another one” . They are living beings, and if they have one, they should at least have the heart to look after it.I’m pretty annoyed at this, is there anyone else who has the same problem?

I’m afraid that problem will never dissapear…

I’m confused. How does owning a bird “look good”? I’ve always thought it makes me look kind of crazy.

Cage Cleaner wrote:I’m confused. How does owning a bird “look good”? I’ve always thought it makes me look kind of crazy.Well it’s kinda both. When most people find out that I have a parrot, they are like “wow, that’s awesome, but really?” and they are probably thinking he’s a weirdo. However, some people just buy a bird as an “ornament” if you like, and they just keep it to look good and show off to guests. I didnt buy a bird just as an “ornament”, obviously, because I wanted a loving pet that I would care for and play with but I think people just don’t see them that way…

I take care of my conures just like I did my little beagle of 14.5 years, which is tha same way I took care of my children. I feed them, I bathe them, I clean up thier mess and take them to the doctor. I play with them, I teach them…I love them whole heartedly (even when the little green one bites me ). I cannot imagine having an animal and not having it be part of the family.

I definitely agree with you on this. I dont know what it is like in UK but America has large numbers of parrot rescues, rehomes (GL etc) Birds dont seem to be as ‘big’ here - I personally dont know anyone with parrots. Have met a few Aussies on forums but thats it. The lady I got Malakai from is already talking about getting a cockatiel (when she gets back from overseas) One reason she got rid of Malakai was because of her allergies - but she is getting a cockatiel - HUH? A case of “disposable” birds at its best. I dont believe a word she told me about Kai. I got him on Oct13th (Thurs), went to vet Oct 17th (Mon) for a wellness/new bird check and went AGAIN on Oct 24th (Mon) because he is not himself and I was worried. He is on antibiotics for a skin irritation - the poor little thing. I have spent more at the vets than what I paid for him, but that is what being a committed, caring pet owner is all about. I understand and sympathise if people have to re-home for personal/health reasons etc or for the betterment of the animal but to let a sick animal die, get rid of it because they can or they changed their mind or cant be bothered, get another animal cos they can, just beggars belief to me. Pets are not status symbols, big birds are not status symbols. I have rabbits and guinea pigs also. I will admit that when they go, I will not get any more. They are very time consuming. Mine are very well looked after but if I knew what I know now, I would not have gotten them. But I have got them, that was my choice, so I am determined to give them a good life. All animals are living breathing creatures and deserve our respect. It is because of human ignorance that so many species of animals are extinct or near extinction. Sorry to rant but some things make me angry and this is one of them.

Mum2rory wrote:I have got them, that was my choice, so I am determined to give them a good life. All animals are living breathing creatures and deserve our respect.I wish everybody had your attitude!

Shelby wrote:Mum2rory wrote:I have got them, that was my choice, so I am determined to give them a good life. All animals are living breathing creatures and deserve our respect.I wish everybody had your attitude!Now, if some people would start thinking that way about their kids…

Yeah. We actually got our original birds because my little sister thought they were cute. At the time I thought that dogs were my special animal, but then the birds came and everything changed. Now I want to be an avian vet when I’m older. (Or a computer engineer.) Our birds were (not bragging) lucky to end up in good hands, even when it was originally for the ‘decor’ for my little sister.

My mother, my aunt, my daughter and I sold out homes and moved in together. Combined we have2 boxers in the back yard5 house dogs ranging from 4 pounds to 20 pounds (1 is 15 years old)1 boxer puppy mixed in with the house dogs6 cats (2 are 14 years old)2 amazons6 cockatiels2 love birds1 guinie pigWe are really over crittered for one home but they are all well cared for, clean and loved. I will not replace any of the furrys when it is time for them to go.My invalid mother tried to put her foot down and made me promise no more pets. I did promise but it was the day after I got Myrtle. She was so quiet only my daughter knew I had her. When my mother started hearing a second parrot she went bolistic. Now we don’t know how we lived without her. She is such a joy in our lives. Even though Rambo pretends he doesn’t like her he will call “Myrtle come’re” when she is out of sight too long.These are all like children of different colors and age. We love them all. I don’t know how people cannot love them and care for them but then there are some children treeted the same way.