I'm so upset :(

So last weekend Dave asked if he could pat nika and give her a treat when she was on top of get travel cage when i visited him. I said you can try and be careful. So he did it and i was so happy. We didn’t push it and that was great. This weekend he was giving her treats and opened the cage and patted her with me there. I was very excited and thought well maybe he could have her stepup and give her a treat. Which he did successfully. But i figured with so much excitement and stuff we wouldn’t want to push it so i had him put her back and she assaulted his hand. He is now bleeding with serious damage. I am so very upset i can’t even tell you. i suppose that she didn’t want to go back but it would have been too much to have her come out. I’m certain he also would have been bit… So frustrated and sad! I thought we were being careful and taking it slow and i was really proud of Dave for being willing to try again.

I think you are doing great with trying again, and I think its awesome that Dave has decided that he is willing to work with Nika again =), that shows he’s responsible and mature . I really hope that he doesnt let a bite like this change that, because it very much sounds like she ONLY bit because he was putting her back into a cage she dislikes, and NOT because she dislikes him !Even if I understand that you are upset right now, I think your post has upped my hopes for Nika and your BF .

Ruh-roh…Sorry this happened, dear.Okay, Nika bit your guy. BUT remember that progress has been made… and that is a very positive thing. The fact that Nika is letting Dave handle her so much and eat from his hand is a sign that she is opening up to him. "Never give up, never surrender!" This goes for parrots, too.

cml wrote:I really hope that he doesnt let a bite like this change that, because it very much sounds like she ONLY bit because he was putting her back into a cage she dislikes, and NOT because she dislikes him !Even if I understand that you are upset right now, I think your post has upped my hopes for Nika and your BF .I tend to think you are right. it seems she doesn’t like him or hate him because she loves me and she knows not to hurt me except accidentally. In addition Dave couldn’t figure out how to extract her since she was doing the pitbull hold which resulted in additional horrible bites instead of just one or two. Poor guy… Dave is awesome and gave her a treat through the bars for a last positive interaction instead of negative since he won’t see her for five weeks probably. She willingly took the treat with no sign of aggression to the target stick or him.

He, the BF, should try only interacting when you are not present. I told my GF to do this, and of course she did not listen. Chico gives her a bite and she wants me to come over and take him. I started to, then caught myself. If I had, it would have only reinforced the bad behavior. Gee, "if I bite her then Daddy will come and get me". Of course I was the bad guy here in all this. Like I commanded Chico to nip her. I think Chico would behave himself if their interaction time was one-on-one without me. Chico has never bitten me except by accident.