It's been a while, now I'm back

Well, thanks to the previous town I lived in over a dispute regarding zoning (for running the reptile rescue & such) I had to move…Whole house full of critters, lots of time, etc. etc…Over the last 6yrs I’ve had her, there have been different times where I’ve had to give Alliah wing trim (House with fans & wood stoves, room-mates who’d leave doors open, etc.) but have always been careful to make it light enough that she wasn’t completely disabled because I know she enjoys flight & always want to make sure that she’ll continue to be a strong flyer as soon as the feathers come back. Amidst all the shuffles in the recent move I had a few near-disasters with Alliah and her free-flightedness (She’s an unpredictable bird, so all the joys of moving with opening/closing doors, new area, her crappy sense of recall… well you get the idea) regrettably I did have to do a slight wing trim on her again just to prevent sustained lift & restore a bit of sanity to my house while I re-train the routines into everyone. I hate having to do so, but I almost lost her thrice during the move & she is a little & fast bird who doesn’t exactly care wether I call her over or not. Chica is still fully flighted, but she’s a lazy bird that only flies if she has to so didn’t have any trouble getting her to re-adjust.To make up to Alliah for the “grounding” I made a little table-top play-stand for her and am making certain to give her extra attention. Also using this time to re-enforce her target training & attempts at recall (though, like I said before she doesn’t really seem to care for it, she’s pretty independent) I did also have to get her a new cage as the big flight cage she had got damaged during the move & upon attempts at re-assembly we discovered that there was not enough space at the new house to put it (she’s a VERY noisy bird & my BF works the night shift so she has to be put in a spot where we can easily “sound proof” during the day so he can sleep)Anyhoo, here’s a pic of the play stand I made. She seems to enjoy it & the extra attention.

Kitty how would you describe your macaws personality .I remember reading you got her from a rescue I dont remember how old she is.Is she a very hands on bird and does she like you and your guy?,good eater ,listen to you ,talk?

terri wrote:Kitty how would you describe your macaws personality .I remember reading you got her from a rescue I dont remember how old she is.Is she a very hands on bird and does she like you and your guy?,good eater ,listen to you ,talk?The macaw is about 15yrs and she’s very well bonded to me (definitely what I would call a 1-person bird). She “tolerates” my boyfriend, but I woudln’t say that the “likes” him… she won’t let him pick her up if she’s on her cage, and pretty much only warms up to him with the bribe of a treat… strangers she’s hit or miss about… some she tries to bite, others she wants to climb on and regurgitate on. We haven’t figured out what the differences are that makes her pick 1 person over the other.She is UNUSUALLY quiet for a macaw. She can say “Hello” “What” and does an evil laugh, but we haven’t really gotten her to talk, she only does it on her own terms: usually in the late evening as she’s settling down. She’s doing GREAT on her recall training with me (but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she just likes being with me) I doubt she would perform the same for someone else… in general though I think she’s kindof a lazy bird and only really flies if she feels she has to (and with lots of encouragement from me)… also she has a weird obsession with swiffer floor mops… in the new house we finally have all hardwood flooring and every time I’ve broken out the mop she starts hollering, comes down off of her cage and starts trying to play/dance with it. She handled the move well & didn’t seem too stressed out during such (even though she had to spend a couple nights in a travel cage while we got everything re-arranged and her big cage rebuilt)

Harlows a very quiet bird too.Now that shes feeling better she seems to talk more in the evening when its dark.I think males talk more