Leeuwieken / amputation

I just found this out for the first time.In the Netherlands and Belgium there is a practice called leeuwieken (as opposed to kortwieken which is just clipping), where people amputate the fingers (except thumb) on one side of the bird, when it is between 3 and 8 days old. When the bird is flight ready, it cannot fly due to imbalance, and there is not the ‘hassle’ or ‘incertitude’ that goes with normal wing clipping.The law now only allows it on birds that are kept outside, out of cages (e.g. ducks and geese).Is this a practice you know in the USA?see: http://www.sierwatervogels.nl/cms/opkwe … ogels.htmlhttp://www.hobbykweker.be/page16.php

That is absolutely horrible! I can’t really understand why people keep birds if they want a pet/companion whatever you choose to call it that can’t fly. And if youre (not you specific, unless this is a practice hou support) set on a bird without that ability get an austrage or something… My concern isn’t only the various ways you can render a bird grounded, it is as much based on the will by humans todo so, personally flight is the absolute most fascinating thing about birds, and something I try to allow as much as possible, wich is one of the reasons I don’t use cages but a fairly big room that is safe for them while I’m out.

It is rare, but we sometimes see it in Canada, unfortunately.

I didn’t know such a practice existed. Thats disgusting and so cruel.

That is cruel. My birds were clipped when I got them and I kept clipping them because I didn’t know any better. I’m letting their wings grow out now because I realize that they are meant to fly. They are birds! I’d rather hear of someone clipping them permanently cut off wings. Disgusting…

Polarn wrote:And if youre (not you specific, unless this is a practice hou support) set on a bird without that ability get an austrage or something… yeah. but we’re not allowed to own ostriches. so there goes that plan…

Your kidding? I thought they were definitely allowed in us considering you allow monkeys n tigers, here in Sweden we have farms with them. And well your not allowed to own one to have in your home but providing enough space outside and yes your allowed to own them here.

no there are new(ish) laws that prohibit the owning of any exotic pet (so no tigers or monkeys). ummm i think you can get a permit to own one? i’m not sure… but it’s definitely illegal, yeah

Oh, Good concerning primates and “wild” predatory animals. However the ostriches are quite easy, not easy though, to handle and their quite productive as far as farming goes since most of the time almost everything on them are used when that time comes rather than some animals only beeing bred for meat others for skin. Ostriches (atleast here) produces almost no waste. Their quite big and scary though the first few times you meet them. But I like em, although I wouldn’t keep em here for a couple of reasons mainly beeing the amount of small children coming here. But I’ve been considering getting a few (not for slaughter though) but as I said there’s tons of kids coming here and I want them to feel somewhat safe in their little helmets walking around among the animals. And a pissed off ostrich gets quite big and scary. Not a good thing when you try to teach kids about the animals and how to properly interact, such as not chasing them around but let them come to you for scratches or whatever.

marie83 wrote:I didn’t know such a practice existed. Thats disgusting and so cruel.It is disgusting. It is mutilation. I almost cry when Rambo is walking and Myrtle lands beside him and walks with him. She knows he is a cripple and can’t fly.