Long Clipping Rant

So about two weeks ago I had brought my Alexandrine to the bird store to try and buy a cement perch of the right size, as I had gotten one too big. I know the owner pretty well and he let me take my bird to the back room and have him try different perches. I screwed up by not listening to my bird, as he was clearly telling me he was very nervous. As I kept trying to get him to step up on the perch, he took off, and at the same time my roommate opened the door. He flew in the main area of the shop and smacked right into a window at full force.He got a concussion and was unable to move for five minutes. I wrapped him in a towel and took him home. The vet wasn’t able to see him until after the weekend. For a few days, he was seriously stressed, had poor posture, droopy wings, slept all the time, and lost 20 grams of weight.Fast forward to today, he’s back to perfect health and is back to his normal weight. So there’s the back story.Now, I know I messed up and I only blame myself. The store owners, employees, and common patrons though all are trying to get me to get him clipped. Actually, they’ve always encouraged me to get him clipped since I’ve had him, and this only reaffirms their opinions. I really don’t want to get into an argument with these people, as they are nice folk.But every time I see them now they keep pressuring me. On top of that, some of the patrons consider it abuse that I’m not clipping. I had one discussion with some people, and they said the usual- ceiling fans, windows, pots, etc. I countered with don’t have a ceiling fan on, get blinds, and don’t cook with your birds out. To the blinds comment, one lady said “oh but we like sunlight so much and have full-sized windows.” It’s just really frustrating because I know if I counter-argue with them, they’re going to take offense to the idea that I could be suggesting clipping birds is abusive/a bad idea.

kudos to you for not letting them persuade you into clipping! I think flighted birds in a bird-proofed house actually enjoy healthier lives than clipped ones. Flighted birds dont get cancer, heart disease, obesity (and all the other stuff that comes with being sedentary) at the alarming rates that clipped birds do, because they have the strenuous cardiovascular sport of flying as their daily exercise. they are also less depressed, because flying is an mentally stimulating activity for pet birds that really engages their minds, in a way that even a ton of toys and a zillion hours of one-on-one time can never match up to. its like tying up an intelligent person’s legs and giving them a tv to watch, lots of books to read, and non-stop attention as a substitute for walking. who could endure that?

Get them to read Michaels article…seriously they probably wont but I would just say you dont want an argument but appreciate they have different views to yours and both parties should be respectful to one anothers opinions. I’m all for educating people but some people are so stuck in their own beliefs they will never be open to any other ideas.This was an unfortunate accident and shouldn’t have any part in your desicion, more birds are hurt from having accidents whilst clipped than the other way round.

I’m a firm believer in flighted birds and I do consider it to be big reasons as to why clipping actually may become classified as animal abuse here by next New Year’s Eve and the least punnishment then would be loosing your bird and well it could in that case give you fines or time… And I’m all for the classify clipping as abuse petition. In my opinion it is as simple as if you do not want a flighted pet, do not buy one that comes with wings! I mean, who would go out to buy an aircraft to only use it on the ground hopping a field? There is far more suitable vehicles to drive across a field than an aircraft and them vehicles won’t come with the possibility to fly… I don’t even get why there even is any discussions weather or not a bird should fly in 2012… If your living situation or area can’t allow a flighted bird, don’t get one. Just as you wouldn’t get a horse if your in an apartment and has no access to a stable…

Forgot to say:Sorry for the stress caused by the unfortunate event at the store but I wouldn’t really consider it a reason to clip. Rather a reason for the store owner to put a drape or something inside the door to secure the place for flights.

Polarn wrote:I’m a firm believer in flighted birds and I do consider it to be big reasons as to why clipping actually may become classified as animal abuse here by next New Year’s Eve and the least punnishment then would be loosing your bird and well it could in that case give you fines or time… And I’m all for the classify clipping as abuse petition. In my opinion it is as simple as if you do not want a flighted pet, do not buy one that comes with wings! I mean, who would go out to buy an aircraft to only use it on the ground hopping a field? There is far more suitable vehicles to drive across a field than an aircraft and them vehicles won’t come with the possibility to fly… I don’t even get why there even is any discussions weather or not a bird should fly in 2012… If your living situation or area can’t allow a flighted bird, don’t get one. Just as you wouldn’t get a horse if your in an apartment and has no access to a stable…Very well said

You could also teach your bird to wear a harness or flight suit which is what im doing with my birds.i stopped clipping when I realised how scared my birds got

i took my to a petstore and i swear he could understand what people were saying cause as soon as one of the employees comented that he didn’t even look clipped he flew off my shoulder onto a sign next to us. they started to tell me how dangerous it was to leave him unclipped. i told them he was fully trained and always returned to me. after i told them what our daily life was like they were actually jealous that i had such a trusting relationship with my bird i think i might have converted the one who also had an to full flight.you are doing what’s right for you and your bird don’t let anyone tell you different and if they can’t respect that you’ll take your buisness elswhere along with sharing there location with your other bird friends. i think the harness is a good idea though.

Myrtle came to me clipped. She tried to fly and landed on the floor. She would not let me touch her but would climb up my pants leg onto my shoulder so I could carry her back. Once she had flight her personality blossomed. She is truly amazing. If she is not with me and the house is quiet she will do lapps in every room until she knows where we are. Can you tell how much I lover her?Rambo is doing better holding his altitude for flight and getting farther. I would really like to meet the person who mutilated him.