Male vs Female Regurgitation

What confirmed sex have you seen regurgitate food?

Male
				63%				

Female
				38%				

Total votes : 8

Ok, I want to know what your experience with male vs female parrot regurgitation is? I only have 3 so my sample is too small. But what I have noticed is that my 2 females NEVER let anything up. They sooner try to pump on my finger and see what they can get from me. Meanwhile my male, as a baby used to try to pump to receive, but when he got older would cough stuff up to offer. These displays are actually quite rare in my guys because I have done a good jump of punishing the behavior. However, when is has happened this is the observation that I have made. So is it true that males feed, females receive?

None of my birds have ever regurgitated to me, but my female IRN takes pieces of food/seed//toys and tries to stick them in your mouth if that counts.

I don’t know how much help I can give but for what it is worth…Kikki ; F, 5 yr. ,Senegal : She does not give up anything Kookooloo ; F, 13 yr., CAG : Rarely gives up anythingMimi : F, 14 yr., Yellow Naped Amazon : She is still too new for me to know as of yet

Skeeter regurgitated for me when we first got him home, but I took it for stress/excitement over being in a new environment instead of thinking of me as his “mate”. Every study I’ve read about poicephalus parrots in the wild indicates that it is indeed only the male that regurgitates. When I have time (today’s kinda busy) I could rustle up the actual citations…Best,Weka

In my personal experience, when you have a bonded pair of male/female birds, it’s always the male which regurgitates for the female but with pet birds that are bonded to a human, females would regurgitate for the human as well as the males.

None of mine have ever done it for me so I can’t really comment either. I can say that I only ever witnessed the breeding male budgies and 'tiels feed the hens where I used to work, never the other way round but that’s not to say it never happened.

I’ve only had female parrots thus far and neither have regurgitated on me. Both, however, have displayed courtship behaviors via dance moves.

I have had several birds, though many have been older ‘rescue’ birds so not as likely to display this behaviour, but I had a female Grey that I hand-raised who regurgitated between my toes one morning while I was still half asleep. Talk about waking up fast! I think the screech I let out made her think twice about doing it again. She was about 3 then.Now I have a male Grey who is just turning 3 and his mating behaviour the past couple weeks has been ridiculous and has included the neck pumping and I sometimes see food back up into his mouth but I always move away so I haven’t actually been presented with a gift yet.Otherwise his behaviour lately could be described as hunter/warrior and it’s pretty interesting to watch - jumping up in the air and pouncing on things like you see hawks doing - with the odd really good nip thrown in, and that alternates with kitty-cat where, especially in the morning, he just winds his head all around my hand in a way I’ve never seen a bird do before.On a different note - I was a bit concerned with the original poster’s use of the word “punishing”. I hope there is nothing too heavy going on here as fairly gentle behaviour mod most always works well with birds though with some it takes a while.

Welcome to the forum, cybercrone. Glad to have you along, I understand your concern over Michael’s use of the word punish and I normally would be up in arms over it, but I think that he sometimes choose to use words like that to see what kind of reaction he can get. I suppose that I could be wrong, but I am not aware of him doing anything that is not gentle with his birds.

Yes, I also hope it was just that he was using the wrong word…