Molting and palm oil?

what time of year do your birds start molting?my bird has just started a few fays ago she has lost one of the same feather from each wing she hates being misted and bathes in her bowl does anyome use avix bird rain?will my idian ringneck eat palm oil?

I’m not sure if palm oil is all that good for parrots. i did a look around the internet and found a number of articles that did not advise it. also, I wouldn’t ever use those products that you purchase in a bottle to spray on birds, like AviRain, etc. because it just means more chemicals that the bird doesnt need. aanother REALLY important reason never to use a spray product as a bird bath is because if there’s a chemical in there that has a particular taste that the bird is fond of, it could start a plucking problem overnight. so i would steer clear and avoid bath spray products like that. birds have their own preen gland oil that moisturizes their feathers. pure water, the best quality available (filtered,etc) is best for your birds bath. and a bath in a dish is perfectly fine if your bird doesnt like to get misted. my GCC hates getting misted, but will come running if he hears or sees water anywhere, because he loves baths in a bowl or from a tap.so see what your bird likes best, and go with that. if he likes a bath in a dish, thats great. a lot of birds molt a little bit throguhout the year. thats what my GCC does.i hope that helps!

i actualy meant palm fruit suppliment that they use to supliment the diet of african greys can i piut this in the diet of my indian ringneck safely as it comes from natural friut.thanks for your help sorry for the confusion.

Coconut oil is great for parrots. Not sure about palm oil, I’m not sure if parrots can have it and besides that, there’s a lot of ethical concerns about it (i.e., destruction of rainforests). There is the RSPO certified palm oil (which I’ve used for my soaps) but again, it’s better to stick to the coconut oil.

hi thanks my parrot loves coconut oil and raw fresh coconut i was meaning what does everyone think about feeding palm fruit the orange stuff in jars sold on 24 parrot or the supliment sunshine factor but ill stck to coconut oil for now.thanks

Palm oil, I think, is sold for parrots but I wouldn’t personally purely for the ethical reasons. Ok everything has ethical things attatched to it but theres a massive problem with these plantations.

Palm oil isn’t good for humans, and it isn’t good for parrot. Period.Nothing in my house consists on palm-oil or any of it bi-products (sulfate is a bi-product!) and there are a lot of reasons for that. Some are related to health, and others are related to environmental reasons. Feeding my bird palm oil would be kind of odd to me because Palm Oil plantations are one of the reasons many parrots are losing their natural habitats. I agree with what everyone else here says. Go with coconut oil. It’s the safer, more natural route. It might be more expensive, but don’t forget of other natural, healthy oils such as peanut and olive!

spiral71 wrote:what time of year do your birds start molting?my bird has just started a few fays ago she has lost one of the same feather from each wing she hates being misted and bathes in her bowl does anyome use avix bird rain?will my idian ringneck eat palm oil?My Avian Vet recommended Sunshine Factor Omeg for my U2 due to his molt is taking a bit long. I always say, call your avian vet. It’s a free call after all. I personally dont give or bath my boy faucet water due to the high levels of lead that are always being debated here in FL. I use filtered water. If she bathes in her bowl, thats ok…I never heard of the avix bird rain. There is a thread on another site regarding a safe bird spray that after used sadly was atributed to the death of the poor little angel… I would just continue with water, after all thats what they bath with in the wild. PS: I havent received my order for Sunsine Factor yet. When I see results I’ll let you know.

THANKYOU VERY mich for your advice i have not given my bird palm oil she loves coconut oil and coconut