Moving countries and want to take Pepper with

Hi, everyone, I’m new on this forum, and needed some advice. I’m from South Africa and we’ll be moving to Venezuela at the beginning of next year. Off course we want to take Pepper, our year old African Grey with, it’l be too hard on the kids to leave their baby, they cry whenever they think of leaving him, especially my eldest son, he’s very attached to Pepper, they do everything together, homework, bathing, visiting.I’m worried about the journey, if the airline will allow Pep on board, and v worried about the quarantine period which I doubt she’ll survive, Pep is v highly strung and gets stressed v quickly, doubtless she’ll get depressed. Anyone knows the quqrantine period in Venz, I can’t seem to find it online and I think calling the airport enquiries in Caracas won’t help because I don’t speak spanish, and I’ve been there before and couldn’t find 1 english speaking official. Any info or advice plz?

It doesn’t seem too difficult. There is no quarantine AS LONG as you have the necessary vet checks and paper work to prove it.from http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Venezuela.cfmOn Cats and Dogs:Venezuela does not quarantine healthy pets who meet the following requirements: pet must be vaccinated for rabies and other diseases at least 30 days prior to travel. A USDA (or CFIA) accredited veterinarian must then complete the Venezuelan Veterinary Certificate for endorsement by the USDA or CFIA if traveling from the United States or Canada. A copy of the Rabies Certificate should also be included.All OTHER pets (birds, invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits) are not subject to the regulations in respect of the anti-rabies vaccination but may have to meet other requirements as to a limit on the number of animals and a certificate to accompany them in respect of other diseases.

http://www.pettravel.com/immigration/Venezuela.cfm

Felix thank you so much for the helpful info, we’re so glad to hear that its quite simple. Now just to start with the paperwork asap as we leave in January and not much time left.

I’ve heard that on some airlines, you can take your bird as carry-on as long as its travel carrier fits under the seat in front of yours. This way you don’t have to worry about her going as cargo and getting lost. Going as cargo is not always possible because unless the plane is climate-controlled, the cargo hold is effected by the weather and will very likely get too cold/hot for the bird.