Moving to London: problems with landlords?

Hello everybody;I’m new to this forum so I’ll use this message also to introduce myself. I’ve an almost 10 years old cockatiel and I’m now planning to move to London. I sometime let him fly, when I’m with him, inside the room and I spend some time with him when changing his seeds and water. Unfortunately when I took him I didn’t used him to eat also fruit and vegetables but I’d like to make another try as I manage to move cause for now I do give him vitamins especially for the winter.Now, my main doubt about moving to London is related to the fact that I saw many announcements for apartments/flats that states “no pets” and even if I’m been told that there should be fewer problems with a (caged) bird, I’d like to hear from the one of you living in London, some direct experience.I hope it won’t take me months to find a place where I can keep him with me. He is not noisy also cause last year he lost a bit his “voice” after being sick for a period (had to treat him with antibiotics)Please let me know what do you think / share you experience. Thanks a lot.Bye,John.

I’m not in London but I am in the UK. You will find it hard to find property I’m afraid and I imagine the closer to the center of London you are more restricted you will be in areas where the demand for property is alot stronger, in the last 13 years it has become alot stricter even in derbyshire. However the type of pet you have is on your side and many landlords will be open to negotiation, especially if you agree to paying extra bond money/professionally cleaning the property afterwards. Some landlords will be more willing if they actually meet the animal involved. I do think if you go for the least sought after areas the easier you will find it even if it means travelling in a bit.Best of luck and I’m sure you will find something

marie83 wrote:However the type of pet you have is on your side and many landlords will be open to negotiation, especially if you agree to paying extra bond money/professionally cleaning the property afterwards. Some landlords will be more willing if they actually meet the animal involved. I do think if you go for the least sought after areas the easier you will find it even if it means travelling in a bit.Thanks for your answer marie83!I’d have no problem paying some professional cleaning service if needed also cause I’ll be looking for a long term contract if I manage to find an area I do like but then the monthly rent could be a problem as my budget is not very high (and in London rents are expensive)Also I’m moving from outside the UK (but from EU)and so it won’t be possible to show the pet to the landlord “by person”. (I could try with a video on my mobile phone)But also I’ll start my new job in London probably before finding a flat so for the first time I’d have to leave the bird at my current house where I can ask to other people in my family to take care of him but not for too long… and I’m also afraid he could get depressed if he doesn’t see me for too long. But the other solution would be to give him away to someone else that can take care of him but this would be very sad after ten years together Your experiences will allow me to better understand what I’ll have to face so please let me know. Thanks.Bye,John.

We live in London. Our landlord said it was fine and even comes up to say hello sometimes We getting our second tiel soon too

Eric&Rebecca wrote:We live in London. Our landlord said it was fine and even comes up to say hello sometimes Thanks Eric&Rebecca for your answer, that’s nice! I hope I’ll find a similar-minded landlord By the way, as I’ll be coming from EU do you know if there are some restrictions? This is the answer I had after emailing defra.gov.uk:The import requirements for importing pet birds from other EU MemberStates, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerlandand the Vatican City can be found in Importer Information Note (IIN)PBEU/1, as found through the link below;http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-trade/im … in-pbeu-1/This states that up to five pet birds may be imported per person fromother EU Member States, and other countries as listed in point (i),without any additional requirements or restrictions, provided they areaccompanied on their journey to the UK and are not intended totrade/re-sale. No certification or declaration is required unless thereare additional restrictions in place due to a disease outbreak.So I hope I’ll have no problem at the customs and also that there won’t be any quarantine or similar period.Thanks.bye,John.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-trade/imports-non-eu/iins/live-animals/iins-birds/iin-pbeu-1/

We have never imported a bird so I really wouldn’t know. It’s probably best to contact them directly and ask. Might be an idea to get an avian vet to give your birds a clean bill of health on paper.

Most (not all) apartment complexes do not charge a pet deposit (I guess it would be referred to as bond money in london area) - for birds and fish. And this is because they’re in a cage/acquarium, so they can not make a mess. This is what they just go by when it comes to encased animals.You might suggest this in an interview with a prospective landlord while looking.I was glad to find this out when I asked my Landlord about the pet deposit, and she told me those are the only animals they don’t charge a pet deposit for. So that’s when I decided to get a parrot.But I keep my place extremely clean after him, always cleaning up daily after him, and periodically shampooing carpets also, and she is very pleased. I do give him his “out time”, which is very important. His alternate out place is on his tree which has the litter box on wheels, and when he’s on it, I put news paper around it, to make sure poo doesn’t fall on the carpet as well, etc. It’s not like he’s roaming or flying around constantly pooing up the place or chewing on things. Hope this helps.

I am not 100% sure when it comes to flying to uk with a bird. I know when you fly to Sweden with one you can not land on any airport and you need to have set up an appointment with the vet as you land etcetera (but no quarantine if among the countries you listed). Not sure if the same goes for flying to uk though. But quarantine should be out since if my memory doesn’t serve me wrong uk does not have a quarantine for importing birds but uses the one in Germany. Anyways, going by car and travel with a bird is never an hassle throughout EU, so far I haven’t been there with the camper with birds coming with me though, but I have been crossing some eu borders with them and I have never had a problem.

Hello,thanks to everybody for the answers!About keeping the room clean, this is not a problem / I’m used to it but it is good to read that they are more keen to accept animals in a cage like a small parrot.About travelling… not sure about plane, we’ve checked a few airlines and they doesn’t seem to allow it… but we’ll check further. Anyway our main idea was to bring him with us by car so that we can also travel with some of our home stuff we want to bring with us to the UK (some appliances, PC, the cage, and so on…). The only problem is that it is a long journey from Italy (we’ll split it in twice at least) sleeping in a hotel that will allow to stay with pets (should not be a problem in April / May)So check more in deep about the customs and if there are other things that could be a problem. I’ll be in London from the middle / end of March and then I’ll start looking for an apartment and also to ask questions locally.Thanks again and please let me know if you think it may be too dangerous / a problem to travel with my cockatiel by car from Italy.bye,John.

going by car from sweden-denmar-germany-france-spain and back is a non issue same goes for going to UK instead of spain. so if you go by car I am 99% sure you will have no trouble in customs etcetera especially with a tiel, since there is no value (sorry but talking moneyvalue wich may be of interest for customs to check up, the emotional value may be priceless but non of their interest) the customs won’t feel an erge to try track the ring or whatever to see it suspecious you have it with you, would be different if you came in a car loaded with 3toucans and 2 macaws or something. then the customs may be more interested in you… and as far as the long ride… it isnt too hot during the time of year you said you may want to go so living in the car isnt too harsh for two days, sure you have some nice kind of hot middays in italy but as soon as you hit midfrance and up the temps are quite cool at that time of year. Anyways, I think you will find no problem at all going by car and I wish you the best of luck finding a suitable apartment and with the move.