My bird ALMOST flew away

Me and a couple of friends had a get together. It was sunny and warm so I brought Amy, my Parrotlet’s cage because. I took here out to play with her and she flew away. A pump of adrenaline pumped through my veins, and I ran in the direction she flew. I wen in to my neighbors yard and I could not see her. I heard her. She had flown into my other neighbors yard and she was on their steps. I hopped the fence and startled a cat that chased Amy and she flew onto a tree which had some low branches. I jumped on them and climbed up. I thought I was not going to get her but I did. I got her safely. I took her to the vet and she is okay. Never letting her out side again

These stories always make my heart stop.

I really don’t know why you would’ve taken her out in the first place when she is fully flighted. Didn’t you read from everywhere and see that birds in general get spooked very easily and it’s their natural instinct to take flight? Especially in a foreign envionment? People take out their CLIPPED birds outside, and plenty get lost.I’m sorry, but your irresponsibility and lack of judgement almost costed a life. I hope you be careful from next time.

scary scary stuff!! good you got her back…

These stories freak me out too. I do believe a bird should be taken outside, BUT only under the safest conditions, i.e. in a cage or harnessed.You were very lucky to be able to get your bird back, especially if it’s fully flighted. Please be more careful if you take him outside in the future.

Unfortunately parrotlets are really small and I don’t think it’s possible to put a harness on them. You can harness train either of your conures however and more safely have them outdoors with you with a harness on. Please be careful, your parrotlet needs you and would be very helpless without you.

GlassOnion wrote:I’m sorry, but your irresponsibility and lack of judgement almost costed a life. I hope you be careful from next time.I agree with Onion. Harness or in a cage is the ONLY way to go, ever.