My new bird.....CAPE CAPE

Hi guys and girls ,After a few months of discussion, my local parrot shop had finally able to import a Cape Parrot( Grey headed or Brown necked) from a breeder in SA. The brid should be around 7-8 months old now from guessing, because the import document doesn’t t have a hatch day. Also, the specie is an unknown as well, they told me it is a Cape, but I think he looks more like a Grey headed parrot.I should start to introduct him to my senegal after quarantine for 2 more weeks

Congrats on your new Cape … very beautiful bird. There seems to be a real influx in the number of Cape parrots being acquired lately. As for quarantining, I would recommend a minimum 30 day quarantine. My avian vet recommends 30 - 60 days.

They really are popping up all over the place… Not that I care, they are beautifull.Have you decided on a name yet?

They do seem to be the latest must-have birds… See what you started Michael?

wow… capes are gorgeous. Congrats on your new birdie!

Michael wrote:That’s a mature male Cape Parrot (most likely Grey Headed subspecies but still could be Brown Necked). I don’t think it could be any less than 8 months and most likely more than that. He has definitely completed his first molt already. Congratulations. Cape Parrots are probably the ultimate parrot to own.Be very careful with the Senegal Parrot. The Senegal is likely to attack the Cape and cause problems. Check out my parrot blog for some solutions I have been coming up with. I think this forum has the greatest collection of Senegal Parrot and Cape Parrots on the net! It’s still a forum about all parrots, but what can I do if these are the two coolest species to own? The shop told me he was around 7 months when I brought him home, but who care what the shop say, the bird was fed by his parents, but still he is a really tame brid after a few days of human interation.I reckon getting a mature bird is good, because you don’t need to worry too much about feeding…He is now on pretty bird pellet and don’t seem to have any problem with the feeding.

http://trainedparrot.com

I was referring to mature plumage rather than being weaned. Are you sure he’s parent raised? My Cape was 1/3 parent raised and 2/3 breeder raised. They tend to do that with Capes for some reason. Where was he bred? Is he fully flighted?I cannot tell you how old yours is but I can tell you that mine just turned 6 months and he has the baby cape parrot plumage and he is DNA confirmed male. He has not begun his first molt yet.

You can also handfeed the baby once a day and put it back with their parents after your done. I know some breeders who do. Baby birds are fed by the parents up to a year or more. So that is plausible.

Michael wrote:I was referring to mature plumage rather than being weaned. Are you sure he’s parent raised? My Cape was 1/3 parent raised and 2/3 breeder raised. They tend to do that with Capes for some reason. Where was he bred? Is he fully flighted?I cannot tell you how old yours is but I can tell you that mine just turned 6 months and he has the baby cape parrot plumage and he is DNA confirmed male. He has not begun his first molt yet.He was breeded in South Africa, just like my senegal, I believe most of parrots in Hong Kong are from Sount Africa. We also have an agent of Brid Internation Inc. His wings were trimmed at the local shop, however, I believe he was full flighted at the breeder.