New Senegal baby!

Hi Everyone!I just want to share the arrival of my new baby senegal named Buddy. I got him on the 17th of this month and he is perfect. I moved into my own apartment at the start of March, I missed the family pets so much (especially our Budgie Jack) so living by myself I wanted a little companion to look after! After buying Buddy I could see he was full of confidence and curiosity I couldnt wait to get him home and settled! I sat by his cage and talked constantly to him (im surprised he didnt get sick of me) ha! It took till the Friday for him to feel really relaxed and comfortable to come out of his cage to explore, he let me handle him and in no time he was trying to get on my head and shoulders! Now he does however shout if I go into another room until I am back near him again, if hes out of his cage he will chase after me trying to land on my head, his aim isnt the best so he does leave me with a few scratches (im sure he’ll get the hang of landing) I took him home to meet the parents and we stayed the night, he was great with the budgies and even let my Mum n dad pet him after a while! I just worry about when I go to work leaving him all day, its just 9-5 so not that long but I do hear him shouting for me as I leave He wakes me up every morning at 7am on the dot with his little shouts till I go and get him out for a cuddle and prepare his breakfast!!If anyone can give me feed back on their senegal babys that would be much appreciated.xxx

My Senegal would shout when I would leave and I turn the radio on low and got her lots of toys to play with when I’m gone and she almost stopped shouting. She loves the chewing blocks and her foraging toys.

Yeah Buddy shouts when I leave the apartment, I can hear him when I am in the car park! I left him with some spinach leaves to be getting on with this morning so I think that kept him occupied!

Hi there. I love Senegals. I have one named Mango that I have had for 10 years now. He was a youngin’ when I got him. As far as some of the behavior issues good or bad, a routine is perfect for them. Certain parrot species do not change too well. You mentioned about working 9-5. I don’t if you started that yet, but you don’t want to spend all day with him until you start work and only in the evenings because he will freak…lol…I learned that early on because when I got Mango, I was on vacation from work and home mostly all day. I tried not to spend more time with him then I would be able to when I went back to work. It was tough, but I did ok with it. Other things that will help you. If he starts screaming or acting in a way you do not want him to…the first reaction is to scold or yell at him. This to him means “hey I got your attention” so this must be a good thing I’m doing. Making a fuss over him when he does good is great! Just like with a child in some ways. These guys can be talkers…not the best at it…but will pick up words and sounds and repeat them often…lol…My Senegal talks “mimics” very well partly because my African Grey never shuts up…lol…I look forward to hearing your great stories about your parrot. He’ll have you wrapped around his little foot in no time…lol…

MikeLK wrote:Hi there. I love Senegals. I have one named Mango that I have had for 10 years now. He was a youngin’ when I got him. As far as some of the behavior issues good or bad, a routine is perfect for them. Certain parrot species do not change too well. You mentioned about working 9-5. I don’t if you started that yet, but you don’t want to spend all day with him until you start work and only in the evenings because he will freak…lol…I learned that early on because when I got Mango, I was on vacation from work and home mostly all day. I tried not to spend more time with him then I would be able to when I went back to work. It was tough, but I did ok with it. Other things that will help you. If he starts screaming or acting in a way you do not want him to…the first reaction is to scold or yell at him. This to him means “hey I got your attention” so this must be a good thing I’m doing. Making a fuss over him when he does good is great! Just like with a child in some ways. These guys can be talkers…not the best at it…but will pick up words and sounds and repeat them often…lol…My Senegal talks “mimics” very well partly because my African Grey never shuts up…lol…I look forward to hearing your great stories about your parrot. He’ll have you wrapped around his little foot in no time…lol… 100% agree with this, don’t give him more attention than you expect to be able to give long term. I also find it helps to vary their routines a bit, it makes for a more independant and adaptable bird so if your ever late home from work or you have a crisis and cant give him attention for a day he wont get stressed out because of it. My birds are now quite happy to get less attention one day, today is a good example as my mother was rushed to hospital so they haven’t been out,by the time I got in they were both in bed. I know they are now ok with that rather than stressed by it although they are probably still not happy about it, they will get extra attention another day. They do not get up at 7am everyday without fail or start screaming because I haven’t done their food at dead on half 7 but this hasn’t always been the case, changes in routine used to make them unhappy or stressed but now it’s taken well.

Oscar is new to me and I hadn’t heard him make a single peep until yesterday when I went downstairs to do laundry. He was yelling up a storm while I was down there and then instantly quiet when I came back up to the living room. Silly little guy hasn’t made a sound since either. Granted I haven’t left the living room since other than to sleep and at that point he was asleep too.

Hi Everyone, Thanks so much for your replies!!Well everything was going great until Monday evening, my sister and little neice came over for tea, me n buds were staying at my parents over the weekend and I was upstairs. Buddy started whistling at my neice so she let him out the cage!! He flew to his favorite watch place at the top of the living room door and my neice closed the door which jammed his toes!! I heard him scream from upstairs so I came running down and he was holding his foot up and couldnt stand I was so upset cos he looked so frightened. I have monitered him closely since monday, he was lying on my chest yesterday and was asleep for a few hours. When I touch his foot he grumbles a little bit and moves it out the way. Back to work today so I will have to wait n see what hes like when I get home, do you think I should take him to the vets or see how he gets on in the next few days, it might just be bruised?? Any advice would be appreciated xxx

Oh no, I really hope he’s okay! Definatly take him to a vet if he seems to be in pain. His feet could be broken!There was another thread with a new senegal, in which I wrote about why I don’t believe that children should interact with parrots, they are way too unpredictable! They neither think nor move in the same way as adults, and birds are fragile animals!

I know, I was furious when it happened, I was upstairs and my mum told my sis not to get Buddy out until I was there but she just went and did it anyway then the accident happened. I feel so awful cos it must have hurt, imagine jamming a finger in the door. I am off work tomorrow and Friday so I will get him to the vets in the morning, I just hope he isnt mentally scarred from it all! Children and parrots defo dont mix!! x

Hope you sennie is okay. Keep us updated. For future maybe consider getting a more secure catch for the cage or even a padlock if need be for when the child is about and your not there to supervise. That said I do think it is an unfortunate accident and one that may have happened even under your supervision because children do move quickly but at least it will prevent anything happening in your absence.