One Parrot vs Many?

Who keeps a single parrot long term vs many? It seems to me that with time parrot owners inevitably end up having more than one. But I am curious if there are people that have kept a single parrot for many years or definitely plan to?

Not me I have two mated pairs and three singles.

Not me. I would never have a single one. If anything, I would have, at least, a pair.

I don’t like to keep any animal as a single. When my son brought Dakota home he was just a puppy. I did not want another dog. I already had a house full of other critters. I solved the problem with doggie play dates and sleepovers. I would drop Dakota off to play with my aunts dogs while on my way to work. She had 3 Chihuahuas with the middle dog getting run over by the other two just like the middle child. Chico loved sleep overs with Dakota. Dakota treated him like a dog. Chico was the size of Dakota’s ear but he made due with the little red dog.I searched for Myrtle because Rambo was an only. They are not buddies but they do “hello” contact calls to make sure where the other one is.

Having many is fun with their different personalities and stuff.Most people that have 1 end up getting another lol.I want to get a third bird I dont want anymore cockatiels just wanna have my two lol and my mam wants another African grey.

ParrotsForLife wrote:Having many is fun with their different personalities and stuff.Most people that have 1 end up getting another lol.I want to get a third bird I dont want anymore cockatiels just wanna have my two lol and my mam wants another African grey.I didn’t plan on 15 cockatiels. I had 4 and when Sweetie died I went in search of a female that needed a home. Maggie was a 4 year old breeder bird who’s mate died and she would not take another. I don’t know what made me think she would accept a new one in my house. So I searched for another in need. Then I saw another in a bad situation and so on.

I have only the one parrot at the moment. I don’t want another because Corsair is all the bird I can handle. But I still have to consider getting her a bird friend so she has someone to “talk bird to” besides the clock and the mocking birds outside. Maybe when my youngest (junior in college) moves out, because he is seriously frightened of birds in general and Corsair in particular. The budgies I used to keep didn’t seem to enjoy being out of their cages, so he hid his fear (like a bird would?) until he found out Corsair prefers to be out, and that she will bite people who misread her signals.He sometimes has to watch and feed her if I am away, and he will call me if she is getting too close to dogs and cats, or will even move her with a perch. I can’t ask him to deal with a second bird.

I intended to only have one GCC until he settled in and then if get a friend for him…but my dad’s coworkers knew he was bird crazy and one happened to have a pair of parrots he needed off his hands and so here we are.

shiraartain wrote:I intended to only have one GCC until he settled in and then if get a friend for him…but my dad’s coworkers knew he was bird crazy and one happened to have a pair of parrots he needed off his hands and so here we are.You need to update your info. It would be nice if you added your location, at least a state.Yes, all bird people have a friend that knows of a parrot that needs a new home.

Im getting a parrotlet on Friday a baby hand reared