Parrot attacking its owner

my green cheeked amazon parrot is attacking my dad(owner) we’ve had her for about 8 months and it didnt get along with me untill the second month now it hates my dad whenever it sees him she tries to attack him no matter what she tries to find a way to attack him(and its very smart) and my dad tries to act friendly with it but it keeps trying to attack him nothing works it keeps going after him like it wants to fight and it bites leave quite a huge mark.parrot age is unknown-thought to be about 2 years of age.I would say its the teen harmones it gets during its younger years but i dont know how old it is.We tried locking it in its cage and put bunch of blankets over it for it to calm down but it just continued to make very loud nonstop god awfull noises it went up for aout 30 minutes and when my dad took off the blankets it stoped but no matter what the bird still tries to attack him.Also, it attacks everyone that tries to get close to it but only if they get close(it still has that trait its always had it),but with my dad it actually goes after my dad he’s even stood still a couple to times to see what she would do she just bites him very hard it goes after him it dosnt retaliate it actually goes after him.But it never EVER attacks me it just tried to get close to me so i can scratch her head my dad made me go away for 3 days so the bird gets time to bond with the parrot(witch he did) but the second it saw me it just started attacking him again it was siting on his shoulder then when it saw me it bit him very hard…soo advice please anyone??any idea what to do?I suggested a vet but he said there way to expensive soo…maybe he’ll go if this keeps up a few more weeks but we cant keep it in its cage because it needs excersie they get obiesed easily and if we take it out it goes after my dad and my dad and bites very hard wont let go my dad has to hit it very hard witch is not good at all…I have to crash at my friends until otherwise.When its alone with my dad it gets along with him.it cant fly wings are cliped but it needs exsercise and if we take it out goes after him…soo any help would be greatly appreciated.thank you

Well, I have gathered that there is a bit of " one person birdedness" going on there. I recommend you target train your bird. Target training is basically when you have a target stick (eg. An unused chopstick) and you present it to your bird. Your bird will then bite it just out of curiosity or simple aggression and when it does, you click (with your training clicker) and give it a treat. Then gradually start with the stick a little further away than your bird and he/she will walk over to bite it. Eventually when your bird will walk over to the stick to bite it, hold it over your dads hand and it will walk over to the stick, onto your dads hand and it will bite the stick. Keep on doing this over your dads hand and your amazon will happily go onto your dads hand and it will not attack your dad. So your bird will think your dad = treats.Hope this helps, feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

See the thing is we tried that, the bird dosnt go after the stick it goes after my dad.The bird really wants to fight him, honestly its weird to me I know birds retaliate to new people but my dad’s had her for about 8 months now and only recently this happened but yes there is a “one person birdedness going on” it only likes me it bites everyone else and it trys to attack my dad the second it sees him

as laducockatiel said this one person parrot agression . Kathleen wrote about it ,here is the link theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1528 . . The bird bonded with you ,so i recommend you spend time with him . Tame him and train him , then start working on overcoming the one person parrot agression and by targeting him to your father hand and stuff like that . No worries since he bonded with you .

dako wrote:See the thing is we tried that, the bird dosnt go after the stick it goes after my dad.The bird really wants to fight him, honestly its weird to me I know birds retaliate to new people but my dad’s had her for about 8 months now and only recently this happened but yes there is a “one person birdedness going on” it only likes me it bites everyone else and it trys to attack my dad the second it sees himtrain him in a room with you alone so he wont attack anyone and focus on training after a while when he gets the target trick .when you come to the point that you target him to another person’s hand , use food managment it will do the trick , in case you dont know what food managment . The idea is to make him a little hungry before training ,so that he would only focus on the target to take the treat and wont attack the person you target him to . Also if he attacks your dad more than anyone else . Then target him to anyone else and target him to your dad later

dako wrote:my green cheeked amazon parrot is attacking my dad(owner) we’ve had her for about 8 months and it didnt get along with me untill the second month now it hates my dad whenever it sees him she tries to attack him no matter what she tries to find a way to attack him(and its very smart) and my dad tries to act friendly with it but it keeps trying to attack him nothing works it keeps going after him like it wants to fight and it bites leave quite a huge mark.parrot age is unknown-thought to be about 2 years of age.I would say its the teen harmones it gets during its younger years but i dont know how old it is.We tried locking it in its cage and put bunch of blankets over it for it to calm down but it just continued to make very loud nonstop god awfull noises it went up for aout 30 minutes and when my dad took off the blankets it stoped but no matter what the bird still tries to attack him.Also, it attacks everyone that tries to get close to it but only if they get close(it still has that trait its always had it),but with my dad it actually goes after my dad he’s even stood still a couple to times to see what she would do she just bites him very hard it goes after him it dosnt retaliate it actually goes after him.But it never EVER attacks me it just tried to get close to me so i can scratch her head my dad made me go away for 3 days so the bird gets time to bond with the parrot(witch he did) but the second it saw me it just started attacking him again it was siting on his shoulder then when it saw me it bit him very hard…soo advice please anyone??any idea what to do?I suggested a vet but he said there way to expensive soo…maybe he’ll go if this keeps up a few more weeks but we cant keep it in its cage because it needs excersie they get obiesed easily and if we take it out it goes after my dad and my dad and bites very hard wont let go my dad has to hit it very hard witch is not good at all…I have to crash at my friends until otherwise.When its alone with my dad it gets along with him.it cant fly wings are cliped but it needs exsercise and if we take it out goes after him…soo any help would be greatly appreciated.thank youSo how is it going between your bird and Dad?

still bad :confused: every time it sees him it goes after him and if its in the cage and sees him it makes a bunch of very loud random noises and i have to take her out and put her next to me witch my dad dosnt like because she jumps off of wherever she is to go after him… but as long as im not around her she’s very friendly with him. Still not sure what to do.it also has this weird act of acting nice and offering him(or actually anyone)to pet her head then u pet her for a few seconds and she quickly tries to bite.By the way for those who gave me helping advice thanks I appreciate it alot but it dosn’t seem to work.

Maybe He likes you a lot but when ur dad comes in, he likes you too. The bird appears to be jealous of your dad. I think, your dad should try to feed him treats in his cage so he can also gain him trust.

You have tried to figure out what is causing the bird to act that way. Try it the other way. What is different about you dad that could be triggery the attacks. Does he show fear? What cologn does he wear. Does he antagonize the bird?Because Myrtle has a longer beak than Rambo, Rachel was afraid of being bit from the start. Now Myrtle will bite her.Rachel’s lovebirds bite her but not me.Her guini pig will even bite her but not me.The iguana bites me and not her.She is bottle feeding a boxer pauppy. When she picks it up it will stop crying. It doesn’t care what I do for it. It will cry anyway.

Well i actually just found something preatty interesting it apears my parrot might be trying to defend me because when my dad pretended to attack me the parrot started screaming and opening its wings trying to fly and it does that every time my dad pretends to attack me(he does it because the parrots reaction is funny).Could this be true?