Parrot Personal Space (A Little Rant)

Yesterday, I took Dante to a “customer appreciation day” event at one of the local Seattle-area parrot stores. I knew there would be a lot of people and their birds there, so I wanted to take the opportunity to allow Dante to get some good socialization time in.Dante is not used to other people, and won’t allow himself to be petted or scratched by people he doesn’t know. Most of the people were very nice and respectful, and overall, it was a good experience for Dante, but there was one person who made me pretty cranky. He insisted in shoving his face to within inches of Dante’s and scolding him with “none of that!” when Dante nipped at him when the guy made a quick motion to try to touch Dante’s back. This guy owns a green-wing macaw, so you’d think he’d know better.So here’s my little rant: First of all, ASK a bird’s owner before you try to touch it. Second, don’t crowd into a bird’s personal space, and if it starts leaning away from you, realize that you are too freaking close and back the heck away. Third, don’t scold the parrot if you scare it and it lunges, nips, or bites at you; it’s your own fault! Not all parrots are comfortable with new people and surroundings (greys especially so); be cognizant of that. Finally, if you are trying to make friends with a new parrot, you’re better off letting the parrot approach you than trying to force your attention on an unfamiliar, and possibly frightened, bird.And a last word of warning: be aware that if you scare my bird and he DOESN’T bite you, I MIGHT! /rant

I had Ace at the bird store the other day and this lady came up and tried to give him a chili pepper (and he’s on my shoulder). I asked her miss, what are you doing? She said oh, you’re right, and then stuck her hands in sunflower seeds and tried to give him one. I said I had to go and just walked away really quickly from this woman.

Naurthon wrote:Yesterday, I took Dante to a “customer appreciation day” event at one of the local Seattle-area parrot stores. I knew there would be a lot of people and their birds there, so I wanted to take the opportunity to allow Dante to get some good socialization time in.Dante is not used to other people, and won’t allow himself to be petted or scratched by people he doesn’t know. Most of the people were very nice and respectful, and overall, it was a good experience for Dante, but there was one person who made me pretty cranky. He insisted in shoving his face to within inches of Dante’s and scolding him with “none of that!” when Dante nipped at him when the guy made a quick motion to try to touch Dante’s back. This guy owns a green-wing macaw, so you’d think he’d know better.So here’s my little rant: First of all, ASK a bird’s owner before you try to touch it. Second, don’t crowd into a bird’s personal space, and if it starts leaning away from you, realize that you are too freaking close and back the heck away. Third, don’t scold the parrot if you scare it and it lunges, nips, or bites at you; it’s your own fault! Not all parrots are comfortable with new people and surroundings (greys especially so); be cognizant of that. Finally, if you are trying to make friends with a new parrot, you’re better off letting the parrot approach you than trying to force your attention on an unfamiliar, and possibly frightened, bird.And a last word of warning: be aware that if you scare my bird and he DOESN’T bite you, I MIGHT! /rantGOOD PARROT POPPA

Sometimes you have to wonder where peoples brains are…or if they have one at all. I commend you for the professional handling of the situation.

accidental double post…sorry!