Parrot polotics

Just a ‘rant’ but does it not seem like there are parrot ownership political parties…? Tell me i am not the only one that thinks this!!!

I really have no idea as to what you are talking about.

because how you own parrots is mostly opinionated, but everyone truly believes that their opinion is right.

I think its a case of there are those who do their best for their pets but then there are others that dont. Its obvious that some people are seriously misguided and others that are better educated. I dont think its a case of wrong vs right with people and their opinions but nature made things a certain way for a certain reason and I feel humans would be wise to try to match that where possible - it amazes me that people are so blind to the affect our interference has on the world.

Marie is 100% correct. Contrary to what people say, bird husbandry is not a matter of opinion, it’s what nature decreed that particular species needed so yes, there is a right way of doing things and, unfortunately, there are lots and lots of wrong ways, too.

I still don’t see any of this to be politics, I do see mostly that some of us are trying to benefit not just our own birds but, all of them and thus are more outspoken and tend to do a lot of research towards that end. I see it more as a sharing of what we have learned. The only people that are going to help educate other people are the ones who truly care for these birds, and there is a lot to learn. Consider that I have apparently made a name for myself because of my sharing of what I have learned. I have spent years working with traumatized animals, but only about two years with parrots, in my case it is a matter that I can look at thing from the perspective of the other animal, not because I know a lot. I spend a portion of each day trying to learn more about these creatures as I have some of them and I need to understand their needs if I am to properly provide for them. Most of what I know, I have learned from them. I just don’t see this as politics.

Wolf, you make a very good point. I think my previous statement might have been incorrect the more i ponder it. but I think it all boils down to the individual bird. I think that certain parrots should be kept differently than others based on their own behavior and personalities.

That is true, however, for the most part there are basics that should be adhered to and then you build on these basics to provide the best that you can for your particular species of bird and then for the individual.

Wolf wrote:That is true, however, for the most part there are basics that should be adhered to and then you build on these basics to provide the best that you can for your particular species of bird and then for the individual.Absolutely.I think we most all agree that all birds should eventually fly, NEVER be hit, and have 8 hours of time out of cage, and 3-4 hours with a person. I guess those are my basics, but beyond that, i think its the individual bird. (though i made the awful mistake of clipping delight several times)