Parrot Shop Incooperative; Help! (Band #/Breeder/Register Pr

(Band #/Breeder/Register Process) :I was wondering if you could help point me in the right direction with this, if there is a work around. The parrot shop/owner, where I’d purchased my parrot from, does not seem to want to be cooperative with the process of directing me to the breeder she got my parrot from – ……… (for purposes of this process) . . . . . in case your bird is ever lost or stolen - That the breeder keeps a listing and/or records of all the band numbers. And I would go to that breeder and give them my name, address, and phone number/info, so that they would list that band number with my name as the owner of the bird. That this info is used should the bird ever get lost or stolen. Then if/when the bird is found, they go to the breeder, and the breeder can provide my name and address and contact information, as the owner of the bird, identified, - - per matching up with the band number, and/or registered to that band number, - - so that the bird can be re-united to me. The bird band is one of the identifying features that will help you inform the authorities about your lost bird. Here is the reason she gave me: “I do not give out the names of my breeders to anyone. I value and need my relationship with them and will not have customers calling them for any reason.” Is there another way or other ways, to get the breeder info, other than going through the parrot shop? I want to have this process in place for my bird’s life, as I love my bird, and want to do the best to set up protective measures for him, naturally. I can understand parrot shop owners not wanting a million people calling their breeders, but I didn’t think a thing like this should be a problem. Hopefully, there has got to be other ways to get this information, and get this band number registered to me as the owner. My parrot is also extremely bonded, and I am attached to him too {giggle}.

You can try to look up the breeder directly by the band number. If all else fails and you’re looking for that kind of loss protection, you can consider micro chipping with your info in the registry.And the reason the store doesn’t want you contacting the breeder is cause they’re afraid you’ll find out you can get the bird directly from the breeder for like half the price!

Michael wrote:You can try to look up the breeder directly by the band number. If all else fails and you’re looking for that kind of loss protection, you can consider micro chipping with your info in the registry.And the reason the store doesn’t want you contacting the breeder is cause they’re afraid you’ll find out you can get the bird directly from the breeder for like half the price!Thanks for responding trying to help, Michael. I have tried in some different registries online to look up the breeder directly by the band number, but to no avail. . Nothing is coming up, or it may just be a matter of hitting the right registry? What registry(s) would I look in to look up the breeder directly by the band number?I am against micro chip inserted into birds. I would not have anything inserted into my bird. Just a personal preference.I wouldn’t care about such a thing as the half price thing from the breeder, if that could be a possible reason. To me, regarding the love for my bird, it would not matter any price I had to pay for it . That would not be an issue. Of course a parrot shop would have to make a profit.

Another alternative to microchipping which isn’t as widespread is putting DNA registry on file. A vet takes a blood sample, a unique DNA sequence is registered into a database with your information. Of course another DNA sample would have to be taken to determine this in event of loss. Really this is only effective for proving the bird is yours rather than actually having it located. Search this forum. We had a topic with links to a few good band registries. If all those fail or the breeder isn’t in a registry, then you’re outta luck.You can post the state and breeder identifier (without the number) here in case someone recognizes it.

Like most everything that I don’t get done, I have been considering asking my jeweler to make silver bands with info for my amazons. I don’t know if a microship can be put in a band.

Thank you Michael, sweetie, for suggesting DNA sampling, and/or other ways, but I would like to stick to targeting only getting the breeder info - and get the band number registered to me as the owner. I do not want to be having my bird pricked for blood sampling unless it is needed at an avian vet because he is sick. Call me silly, but I don’t want to put my bird through un-necessary hurting or bleeding, even if it’s “just a little prick that won’t hardly hurt a bit” lol. I won’t even have him sexed because of that (which they do by blood sampling from cutting the nail – ouch!). Not my baby!  There are other ways to tell the sex without hurting the bird or sticking things in your bird, and for that matter, I know my bird is a boy Please let me know if I am understanding this process correctly (I believe there is more than one process, so please don’t tell me about others, and just let me know if this one is correct, or I could get confused lol):1. Breeders ARE REQUIRED to register all band numbers with some main band registries (or at least one, which ever one they use).2. I register my contact info (name, address, & phone number) with the breeder, as the owner of my bird, with that band number.3. If a bird is lost or stolen, a person who found the bird (and is honest lol) – can call a band registry and report they have found a bird, and give them the band number, and their contact information, in an effort to re-unite the bird to their owner.4. The band registry organization then looks up that band number in the registry to get the associated breeder’s info (name, address, phone number).5. The band registry organization then contacts that breeder, telling them that this bird with this/their band number has been reported found. Then the breeder looks up that band number for the owner of the bird (my contact info).6. In an effort to try and re-unite the owner and the bird, either the band registry organization or the breeder contacts the owner of the bird, stating your bird has been reported found, band number such and such, helping to put you in contact with the person who found it, for returning the bird to you.a. OR, the person who found the bird is told by either the band registry organization (an authority) or the breeder (another authority), to give the bird to them, so that they can re-unite the bird with the owner.i. (Handing it over to the authorities and/or agencies prevents people from calling you and saying, “I found your bird” for some type of ransom; when it might not even be your bird).ii. In the beginning, when you’re reporting your contact info to the breeder with your band number, as the owner of the bird, you can also report certain markings your bird has, which only you would know, to prevent such type of fraud. Like, if a person calls you and says to you, “I found your bird”; you can ask them, “Tell me some distinct identifying markings the bird you found has?”.iii. These are also identifying features that will help you inform the authorities about your lost bird.Another thing I don’t understand is, when I purchased the parrot at the parrot shop, one of my specific questions I asked was whats that band with the number on it for? I was specifically told in an answer by the manager who was working there at that time, that – that is used for god-forbid your bird is ever lost or stolen, that bird can be traced back to you; what you do is get that band number registered to you as the owner. So, that is the “purpose(s)” of the band number. (one of the purposes).But then, when I asked the “owner” for the breeder info for this whole process, she refused me. I told her it was her employee, the manager, who told me that. So what I don’t understand is why the owner refused me, not wanting to give me the breeder’s info for this process. Everything I’ve read on the internet about the band number process for this, several of them said to start with the parrot shop where you purchased your parrot to get the breeder info from them. So I also thought that parrot shops are also “required” to cooperate with this process. It makes me mad that she doesn’t want to, because I feel like, have a heart, don’t “you” want a good life set up for my bird? Don’t “you” “also” want this protection measure set up for my baby, godforbid he should ever get lost or stolen? Wouldn’t “you” want to help in the process of getting him united back to me? Or would you rather he die from missing me so much? (Birds also do die, once bonded to “their person”, if they are not “adjusted” right.

Michael wrote:Search this forum. We had a topic with links to a few good band registries. If all those fail or the breeder isn’t in a registry, then you’re outta luck.You can post the state and breeder identifier (without the number) here in case someone recognizes it.Please give me the direct link regarding the topic with links to the few good band registries. I was looking for something like that and couldn’t find it. Don’t know where to start. (closed band) - AAP TX is the state and breeder identifier.Thank you immensely. I know the TX is for Texas. I live here in Texas Love Maria

Sounds like a hassle in the states, over here, in Sweden, pets are basicly registered and insured like cars. We have a central registry for all tagged pets weather it be rings or chips, and if a pet changes over you register it there, usually tho the insurance companies help you out doing this when you insure your new pet. Polarn for example has a vet insurance, something that basicly allows me to never pay more than about 80usd for his vet care, no matter illness or amount of visits, per illness or injury that is, the insurance also includes a life insurance, something I would rather see be lost from their policies, to lower insurance costs and becouse the money might help you get a new pet but could never replace the lost one. Might add life insurance won’t pay for old age only sickness or swooped by a hawk or something like that. About a microchip in a silver ring, should work, but you might have to make a cavity in the ring to put it in then fill the cavity with something else than silver, not sure how they handle temperatures etc. I think the biggest issue tho is for someone to actually know that they need to scan the ring.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1620http://www.pamperedpeeps.com/bandsbreeders.htmhttp://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LegBandNumbersIf all else fails, you can try talking your store into registering your info with the breeder on your behalf without connecting you to breeder directly. I’m telling you, more than anything they’re afraid of losing business directly to the breeder and rendering the store obsolete.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1620