Parrot train travel in the US

This year I needed to travel up north for our vacation to join my husband. I didn’t want to leave the bird with him as he just isn’t as devoted to Ally as I am. So yesterday I was faced with train travel with a bird on the East Coast. Researching it I learned that Amtrak strictly forbade birds/ animals–unless they were seeing-eye dogs. Since I was not ready to go through “my comfort animal” nonsense, I learned that local trains routes would allow animals, but not Amtrak. Amtrak is probably going to open up to animals in the next year or two, and is now trying it out in the midwest. So I opted for subterfuge: A carrier, in a big bag covered with a shawl, and first a local train, then Amtrak, then a ferry. I also worked out plan B–if they kicked us off the train. That would be a local commuter train, connecting to another local commuter train, then a hired car for $130 to the next major city, then another commuter train, then subway, then onto the ferry. However I did not get out the door early enough as the plan would have taken about 10 hours and I would have missed the last ferry, thus adding another 4 hours and a 3 hour bus ride and another 1 hour car trip.Ally, our Jardine’s Parrot, is a seasoned traveler in the car. Every year we go up north and he is as quiet as a mouse in his traveling cage, unless I call him, in which case he answers. He likes to sleep at night in his traveling cage too, once we get there.The commuter train section was uneventful. When I got off to wait in the second city for the Amtrak train, carrying my backpack, handbag, and enormous open not-very-heavy shopping bag, at one point I got a look from a conductor waiting to board the train about 20 feet away. I pretended not to notice, he said nothing. At boarding time I proceeded to wait for the train at the gate. The team of conductors were also waiting to board. Nobody said boo. At boarding time I got on, found a nice empty seat, slid Ally’s crate under the seat, repositioned it better, and sat back with computer on lap. Conductor eventually showed up, took my ticket nicely, and that was the end of that.The message I got from this was, my “clever” disguise was totally obvious. That conductor who saw me–and probably all the rest of them–were under no doubt that something -dog, cat, hamster, bird–was in that bag. But as long as I hid the whatever-it-was, and nobody heard it or saw it…fine! No-one was going to be the blue meany and throw me off, with pleading, tears, or whatever…unless, of course, I got the nasty conductor–and there are some !On the ferry Ally was the belle of the ball, admired and photographed by many. which was much more to his liking.

Wow, I would not have been so lucky.

You got VERY lucky because they should have stopped you… nowadays everybody is on high alert for suspicious packages due to the possibility of a bomb. You can always fly, you know…

wow what a trip! my bird will not be quite that long…at any time you would have heard HELLOOOOO

Yes, my Freddie would have been: “Unlock the door!.. You forgot to unlock the door… THE DOOR!!!” Once he made a hole in a screen and got out of the house while I was running an errand but, thankfully, the neighbors called Animal Control so nobody would steal him and, as the officer knows me (I do TNR on feral cats and care for a colony), he left a note on my door to let me know that he had him and, when I went to pick him up, I could hear him yelling ‘UNLOCK THE DOOR!!!’ from the corridor (people were coming out of the offices with everybody laughing like crazy and I had three people who had heard him come over to my house asking to adopt him).

If Mimi were to be comfortable enough she would be screaming " I want out all out". Kiki would just be screaming and Kookooloo would either be whistling or screaming.

Yes, none of mine likes been locked but, to be fair, the lady is talking about a Jardine and they are quiet birds… you hardly ever hear mine, also, but then mine is not in a cage, I don’t know how she would react if she was locked in the dark during the day for hours at a time…