Parrots and colors

This may get long so forgive me. First I haven’t decided just yet what parrot to get. But I am working on the bird room. I have cages and I am setting them up with everything first, from different perches, to toys and water dish, and food bowls. I figured that I would use two food dishes one for the pellets and one for veggies and fruits. So here were we get to the topic. The room I am setting up is painted white. So I figured that I would add some designs to the walls so that they would be able to see the wall better. I point is what colors should I use. With everything that I read they do see color and some colors they like more then others. I read this one time a women had a different color shirt on and her parrot was upset. So by putting some color on the walls before I get him, would that help him get use to it( instead of changing the room after the fact). and are there colors that I should just not use. Thanks. Also I am still buying and reading books.

Well, I personally think that the closer you can make the walls to nature, the more comfortable a bird would feel in the room. When I lived in Pa where the birdroom was 25 x 13 ft and had many windows on three sides, I had painted the walls in different shades of green with more brown at the bottom (kind of like a camouflage effect) because I figured that they would look more like a forest would. The birdroom I have now is smaller and has only a window on two of the walls (not enough light in my estimation) so I painted them yellow to make the light bounce off them and make the room appear sunlit. But, if I move the birdroom to the attic, I am planning on painting the ceiling sky blue with white clouds and the walls with ‘trees’ like they have in the zoos.

Decorate how you like it, I don’t think it will make much difference to the bird either way. What will make a difference is what is inside the cage, the size of cage, amd time with you. But I am a bit confused how you can be setting upma cage before narrowing down to what kind of parrot you get? They all have vastly different cage and toy requirements, even birds of the same size.

I vote for natural too. My green cheek tends to ignore or hate anything brightly colored, except for clear plastic. But yes, go for the look in there that you want. The cage is what matters. The bird will tell you what it wants as far as the cage goes, after awhile.

toys2.JPG
					(115.6 KiB) Downloaded 705 times

Michael wrote:Decorate how you like it, I don't think it will make much difference to the bird either way. What will make a difference is what is inside the cage, the size of cage, amd time with you. But I am a bit confused how you can be setting upma cage before narrowing down to what kind of parrot you get? They all have vastly different cage and toy requirements, even birds of the same size. Michael I did know that I was thinking of the smaller size parrots like Conures, Quakers, senegals. I hope this comes out here is a picture of the cage and toys. The cage is 32x22x35. Please any help would be grateful. 

./download/file.php?id=1490&sid=1038820c7c46c5b36a5441e2a56c8e61

Well, that’s not a parrot’s cage, it’s one made for passerines (canaries, finches) so the paint might not be good.

How can you tell?Size is good for any small parrot. Triple the number of toys/perches and you’d be set in that department.

Thanks Michael I just received a few more perches from you. I am adding as I go. I was thinking of some small foraging toys the ones they have to open to get the treat. I also want to add a long perch one that goes front to back.

You’re talking about foraging toys, I wouldn’t worry about that up front. That can come later. As for a cage end to end perch, I do offer custom length perches when customers email me the exact length they need. But like I said before, until you are sure of the bird, I’d leave the final bits off because that may change. Cockatiel vs a Senegal require pretty different toys although pretty similar in size.

Michael wrote:How can you tell?Size is good for any small parrot. Triple the number of toys/perches and you’d be set in that department.Passerines’ cages have vertical bars while psittacines’ have horizontal ones (for climbing). There are some cages that are made for both types and would have two vertical sides and two horizontal (most cages for cockatiels are like that because they can be used for a tiel or for a medium size passerine). The cage in the picture looks exactly like a canary flight cage, they have a stand and measure 36x32x21 and the bowls openings don’t lock at all (I have two that are identical to that one, one for my hens and the other one for the males which take turns in it).